Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pausing Print to Switch Filament

Posted by jamesmoe 
Pausing Print to Switch Filament
October 03, 2014 07:43PM
I am printing with two different materials in the same print. Is there an easy way to pause the print at a certain height so I can change filament, then have the print continue??

Thanks. I have searched around and cannot find a clear answer.
Re: Pausing Print to Switch Filament
October 05, 2014 12:17PM
I don't know of any slicing software that does that, so I think your best bet would be to load the generated G code into a text editor and scroll through until you find the Z move that changes to the Z height of the layer you want to change (just do a search for "Zxx.xx" where "xx.xx" is the height of your colour change). Then you should copy everything before that point to another file, and everything after that point to yet another file. Print the first file, then without homing, change the filament and then print the second file. You could add a line or two at the end of the first file to get the head out of the way so it doesn't melt a hole in the part while you are changing filament, and a line in the second file to move the head back again.

Dave
Re: Pausing Print to Switch Filament
October 06, 2014 08:59AM
Hi,
if you use a display and marlin firmware, you can select "change filament" whenever you want.

Enrico

[www.dapa3dservice.it] [www.studiodapa.it]
repstrap dApA, Ramps 1.4, MarlinKimbra / scanner 3D Cubify Sense / Formlabs Form 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login