Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Infill not touching perimeters with layer height less than 0.2mm

Posted by Masterjuggler 
Infill not touching perimeters with layer height less than 0.2mm
April 16, 2015 07:22PM
I'm having a problem where any object I try to slice using a layer height less than 0.02mm (i.e. 0.1 or 0.05) does not have infill that touches the perimeters. If in the settings, under advanced, I set infill extrusion width to 100%, all infill suddenly reaches the edges, but print time skyrockets, so it's not a permanent solution.

The first screenshot is of all extrusion widths in advanced set to 0, second shot is of infill set to 100%.

Does anyone know what could be going on?
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot - 04162015 - 06:59:19 PM.png (292.1 KB)
open | download - Screenshot - 04162015 - 06:57:54 PM.png (316.5 KB)
Re: Infill not touching perimeters with layer height less than 0.2mm
April 16, 2015 07:40PM
What is your value for the percent overlap between perimeters and infill?

By the way, .1 and .05 are both greater than .02, so not sure what layer heights you really mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 07:42PM by IMBoring25.
April 16, 2015 08:28PM
Sorry about that, meant to say 0.2mm in the post. Accidentally added the extra zero. Changed it to be correct.

I have it set to 15% overlap. It works perfectly fine for 0.2mm, but anything less and I get this issue of the infill not touching the perimeter.
April 17, 2015 07:16AM
Uhm. Nobody understands that ^^

In your gcode there is an info like ; infill extrusion width = 0.50mm

If your setting is 0 (default) then its like 1.28mm or so. And in this repetier-view it does not show your width, which means theres a gap. Doesnt mean there is one if you print it!.
For small things use your nozzle diameter for your standard extrusionwidth.

Try setting like 0.5 at infillwidth and gradually go up and you will see the gap getting bigger.

AND: New slic3r preview shows extrusion width unlike repetierhost winking smiley
April 20, 2015 02:41PM
Lord_Vader
AND: New slic3r preview shows extrusion width unlike repetierhost winking smiley

A g-code viewer cannot show the extrusion width because the g-code file does not necessarily contain enough information to be able to derive the width. The variable missing is the filament diameter, which must be known in order to calculate the volume of plastic extruded, which can then be used together with layer height and move length to work out the width. Slic3r may well provide the filament diameter in a comment, but a g-code viewer could not rely on having such a comment line in a print file. It would of course be possible to have the user input the filament diameter (and extrusion factor) in order to display accurate widths.

Dave
April 27, 2015 04:01AM
Yeah i know thats what i said gcode viewers down show and slic3r does cause it has its own config available.
April 27, 2015 12:46PM
Have you calibrated the extruder? You may have under extrusion due to a calibration error. If you calibrate it to work properly at 50um it should also work properly at 200um, but not necessarily the other way around - what looks good at 200um might actually be a little under extruded and it becomes a problem at 50 um.
April 28, 2015 05:27PM
Finally got some time to play around with the printer more.

Setting a standard extrusion width instead of leaving all extrusion widths at 0 (automatic), as per Lord Vader's suggestion, completely fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.
May 01, 2015 01:10PM
hello ... can you tell me what configuration you use?
May 04, 2015 04:19PM
I ran into this problem as well. If you look at the tooltip for the advanced extrusion width, you'll see that it says "computed over the layer thickness" or something to that effect.

So if you have 0.2mm layer thickness and set the advanced extrusion width to 100% you're going to get 0.2mm width lines, which typically cannot work and will look like super thin lines or just melty mess.

I don't have any idea why one would want the width to be a fraction of the height, ... but that's what it is.

It took me a while before I finally discovered that 0 != 100% in those fields.
May 04, 2015 04:22PM
Oh, and the other seemingly misleading (unless I still don't understand it) part is the tooltip also suggests a setting of 95% to have finer lines e.g. on top solid infill.

I just don't think that will ever work. I actually set 95% and then jacked up esteps/mm for a while trying to get something useful but ...
May 11, 2015 06:57PM
Can you do a test with this stl?
[www.thingiverse.com]

Extruder e3d v6 - nozzle 0.35 - 40mm/s attached my test...
Attachments:
open | download - Test2.jpg (589.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login