Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what's the g-code for color

Posted by columbus1231 
what's the g-code for color
May 18, 2015 10:59PM
I am wondering how color is represented in g-code after conversion from an amf file.
For example, just like a straight linear movement is represented in g-code as G1 Xnnn Ynnn Znnn Ennn Fnnn Snnn. How is the red green blue (rgb) color code read in g-code by a 3d printer in a section?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 11:00PM by columbus1231.
Re: what's the g-code for color
May 19, 2015 04:59AM
RepRapFirmware supports code such as G1 Xnnn Ynnn Znnn Fnnn Ennn:nnn:nnn for driving mixing extruders. I don't know whether there are any slicers that can generate these codes yet, or how you would tell such a slicer what colours you wanted.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 19, 2015 01:03PM
Unless you have a colour mixing extruder, you select the tool (extruder) to use by number rather than colour. After all, the software cannot know what colour filaments you have loaded into each extruder.

Dave
May 20, 2015 06:25AM
for full color print you need 5 color. W B RGB
there's no slicer that can prepare a full color fff print, at the moment

Enrico

[www.dapa3dservice.it] [www.studiodapa.it]
repstrap dApA, Ramps 1.4, MarlinKimbra / scanner 3D Cubify Sense / Formlabs Form 2
May 20, 2015 11:10AM
enricodare
there's no slicer that can prepare a full color fff print, at the moment

Surely using the traditional printing (subtractive) colours would be best (Magenta, Yellow and Cyan) if you can get filaments in those colours. You might get away without black, as mixing M, Y and C equally will make black (if the colours are perfect), though white would certainly be necessary. Only the outer perimeters and the top & bottom layers actually need to be coloured, so there is also the question of whether a slicing application should always use a single default colour for infill.

I cannot see FFF as ever being a suitable technique for printing photographic images, so AFAICS you would only need the ability to print a few discrete shades on a single print, though the colour(s) may need to be a colour-match that no off-the-shelf filament could achieve, making mixing desirable. OTOH it would probably be easier to make a separate filament-extruder and mix dye additives to achieve the exact shade(s) required and then load that colour-matched filament into a FFF printer rather than have the printer mix the shade you need. Extruding your own filament from pellets, besides allowing you to have whatever shade of colour you need, also has the advantage that it is cheaper.

Dave
May 20, 2015 11:29PM
enricodare

6 colours... W B RGB Transparent.

There is a Palette on KickStarter which will mix 4 colours for you into a single multicoloured filament. But it will cost you $849. And I'm not sure how it syncs with the printer. And I don't know how you specify the colours.
May 21, 2015 08:39AM
frankvdh
There is a Palette on KickStarter which will mix 4 colours for you into a single multicoloured filament. But it will cost you $849. And I'm not sure how it syncs with the printer. And I don't know how you specify the colours.

AFAICS that device does not mix colours, but creates an output filament that has carefully computed lengths from each filament spliced together so that the colour you want hits the nozzle at just the right time to print it at the right place. The blurb states that you can achieve a crude type of colour mixing by splicing very short lengths of filament so that they melt together in the hotend. The syncing with the printer is not explained too well, but I can see how it probably works.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login