Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicer closing/crashing

Posted by sfinke 
Slicer closing/crashing
May 24, 2015 02:22PM
Hi,

I get slicer crashing/closing almost every time I try to use it. Usually it just closes without warnign or fanfare but twice i got this error message:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: slic3r.exe
Application Version: 1.2.6.77
Application Timestamp: 503fe786
Fault Module Name: perl514.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f85cd47
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00041779
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

What could be causing this? I only started playing around with slicer a few hours ago so I'm happy to accept its something I'm doing wrong, just can't think what it is...

thanks.
Re: Slicer closing/crashing
May 24, 2015 03:58PM
Unfortunately slic3r 1.2.6 does crash a lot. I find it's OK provided that after loading and slicing a model, when I want to slice another one, I exit and reload slic3r. It seems to be deleting the model on the platter and loading another one that causes the trouble.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 24, 2015 04:02PM
Just realised I gave scant information. So to rectify:

Slicer 1.2.6
Windows 7 Pro

The crashes are random to my eyes. They occur when I import an stl, change settings, export a file or just have slicer open while I finish a quick game of solitaire. I should also mention that I have been able to export gcode files without issues too. Could it be the fact that I am using the beta?

Thanks.
May 24, 2015 05:28PM
More likely because you are running windows. It's really hard to build a stable structure on soft mud . . . .

- Tim
May 25, 2015 06:35AM
tadawson
More likely because you are running windows. It's really hard to build a stable structure on soft mud . . . .

- Tim

That is a completely unhelpful post. thumbs down

Sebastian

Flash Creator X
Creality CR-X
Anycubic Photon
May 25, 2015 12:21PM
Try Slic3r 1.2.7

[slic3r.org]
May 25, 2015 12:36PM
But wholly based in fact . . . if the software in question works for others, then the platform comes into question, and Windows, being the virus magnet it is, is not beyond being a large part of, if not *the* problem in cases like this.

Yes, it makes troubleshooting harder, but you have to consider everything . . .

- Tim
May 25, 2015 01:54PM
A poor workman blames his tools. A poor programmer blames the OS ...

Dave
May 25, 2015 03:09PM
roboprint
Try Slic3r 1.2.7

[slic3r.org]

Thanks. Must have just been released. I didn't see it when I downloaded 1.2.6. I'll check it out.

Sebastian

Flash Creator X
Creality CR-X
Anycubic Photon
May 25, 2015 03:30PM
dmould
A poor workman blames his tools. A poor programmer blames the OS ...

Dave

And the makers of a poor OS invariably have a great marketing department . . .

If the same code works on the same OS elsewhere, that *CANNOT* be anything but a corrupted OS or hardware issue, sorry . . . A programmer is not responsible work working around crap . . .

- Tim
May 25, 2015 03:31PM
sfinke
roboprint
Try Slic3r 1.2.7

[slic3r.org]

Thanks. Must have just been released. I didn't see it when I downloaded 1.2.6. I'll check it out.

I think you can only get 1.2.7 from GIT, since it is in active development . . .

- Tim
May 25, 2015 03:48PM
tadawson
I think you can only get 1.2.7 from GIT, since it is in active development . . .

- Tim

I think you can get it here:
[dl.slic3r.org]
[dl.slic3r.org]
[dl.slic3r.org]
May 25, 2015 04:48PM
roboprint
tadawson

- Tim

I think you can get it here:
[dl.slic3r.org]
[dl.slic3r.org]
[dl.slic3r.org]

Very good . . . perhaps I was thinking of Marlin development. In any case, either there, or via git - any will work.

- Tim
May 25, 2015 07:52PM
I just downloaded and installed slic3r 1.2.7 (Windows x64 version) and immediately hit a bug. I press Help and then About sli3r, and the version information box comes up. But I can find no way to dismiss the box or do anything useful after that. I have to terminate the process using Task Manager.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 25, 2015 08:17PM
May 26, 2015 08:56AM
tadawson
If the same code works on the same OS elsewhere, that *CANNOT* be anything but a corrupted OS or hardware issue, sorry . . . A programmer is not responsible work working around crap . . .
- Tim

I have several devices & applications that work fine in Windows but fall over in Linux, so that means that Linux must be corrupted? Sorry, you are incorrect. Different OS's require differences in the program structure and calling parameters that you cannot always rely on the compiler to resolve. An application developed on a Widows system will almost always require tweaks before it will run 100% on a Linux system and vice-versa, even if it was written with cross-platform compatibility in mind. The same is true for applications running on the same OS but a different hardware platform. A race condition or timing bug that is inherent in a program, for example, may never occur on one platform but on a different platform that has a faster or slower CPU, an OS that does things in a different way, more or less cores or threads running or uses a hardware FPU instead of software will start misbehaving because suddenly things are not happening in the intended order because the programmer did not take it into account. The wonder is that so many applications are capable of running on such a wide range of different hardware combinations.

Dave
May 26, 2015 10:20AM
What part of 'works on the *same* OS' didn't you get?

- Tim
May 26, 2015 11:40AM
tadawson
What part of 'works on the *same* OS' didn't you get?
- Tim

Calm down, this is a discussion. I covered that aspect in my reply (look for the phrase "hardware platform"). An application can crash on one hardware configuration but not another even though they are running exactly the same OS. The reason can indeed be an issue with the OS (or a 3rd party driver), but is more commonly due to the programmer not taking all reasonable possibilities into consideration or making invalid assumptions. Or it can even crash on the same PC at a different time because other applications have altered the timing or resource availability.

Many applications I have come across (perhaps most) do not handle a full memory or full HDD very well as a trivial example of how hardware can "crash" a program. I have known applications that crash or enter an unbreakable loop when a shared resource suddenly becomes unavailable, which is hardly the fault of the OS - the programmer simply did not properly cater for that particular condition. One popular application I used only yesterday usually works very well indeed, but when I unplugged a USB audio device it was using, it went into a loop bringing up hundreds of error message windows in quick succession, locking up the PC. It's likely that the programmer did not think of the possibility that the sound channel it was using could suddenly become permanently busy or unavailable, and just went into an endless retry loop. In that case the initiating factor was obvious, in most cases it is not. Failure to properly handle an error return from a system call is probably the most common programming shortcoming. I've been guilty of it myself, "I'll get the application working first, and then go back and fill in the error handlers." But then I forget to do so.

Dave
May 27, 2015 02:25AM
dc42
I just downloaded and installed slic3r 1.2.7 (Windows x64 version) and immediately hit a bug. I press Help and then About sli3r, and the version information box comes up. But I can find no way to dismiss the box or do anything useful after that. I have to terminate the process using Task Manager.

Confirmed.

Sebastian

Flash Creator X
Creality CR-X
Anycubic Photon
May 27, 2015 08:44AM
Since upgrading to slic3r 1.2.7 I have had no cases of termination without warning, but I have had one "slic3r has stopped working" message from Windows after running several load/slice/delete cycles. So I think there is still a memory management problem in slic3r 1.2.7.

May 31, 2015 12:23AM
If you leave current slic3r sitting on the layers tab it will eventually consume all the RAM on your PC and usually get killed by the OS itself after virtual memory gets exhausted.

[github.com]
June 03, 2015 09:17AM
Oooohhhhh......religious flame war!!!! Let me get the popcorn and pop....

Cross platform development between linux and windows has NEVER played well in the sandbox, unless you do a "Hello, World" program. 'nuf said.

I wonder if this memory leak appears only in windows or if in linux as well. I can download the latest source from git and try it on my big linux box and watch for memory leaks, as described before. In windows, there is perl516.exe, IIRC, doing the perl work. In linux, perl is native. The joy of interface layers.

Just a thought - valgrind. I know that it is not available on windows. If valgrind can catch the issue when presented then a solution could be worked out.

Ah, the joys of appeasement to the OS's......
October 04, 2015 04:01AM
I had the same issue running slic3r 1.2.9 on windows 10 64 bit, almost everything made Slic3r crash, but it can be fixed in a super easy way.

Open Slic3r folder, right click on slic3r.exe and select Properties, within the compatibility tab, check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and from the drop down list select "Windows 7", click on apply and then on Ok.

This worked for me, as I said, super easy smileys with beer
October 04, 2015 04:29AM
I was already running slic3r under Windows 7 64 bit and it got to the point at which it would crash every time I tried to slice a model. That's what drove me to buy S3D.

December 04, 2015 08:46AM
I've also been having the spontaneous exit problem under Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit.

I happens every time I add a part and it starts to generate the toolpath.

If I rightclick on the Icon and click on 'Troubleshoot Compatability' the application runs OK, but I've got those compatability settings saved any way.

It's also happening under previous Slic3r versions; 1.2.6 and 1.2.1, so there may be a Microsoft update causing issues.
December 04, 2015 10:13AM
It's the same for me under Windows 10 x64 as it was for Windows 7 x64 - it crashes either on loading a model or when generating tool paths.

Another problem I had with slic3r is that every time I loaded it, it had lost my filament selection and had reverted to 'default'. This may be connected with some of my printer configurations having 2 extruders.

December 17, 2015 07:07AM
Downloading 1.2.9 and will try again (after many months...)

Sebastian

Flash Creator X
Creality CR-X
Anycubic Photon
December 17, 2015 12:54PM
sfinke
Downloading 1.2.9 and will try again (after many months...)

1.2.9 always crashes on me when I try to slice a model.

December 17, 2015 04:23PM
I've had pretty good luck with 1.2.9 on Linux Mint 17.2.

If you want, you can send me the model that crashes and I can try it on mine to see if its a Windows thing or not. I've sliced plenty of my own without problem on 1.2.9
December 17, 2015 05:26PM
Slicer crashes for me on any model. Perhaps it doesn't like my configuration files.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login