Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starting point for extruder calibration please

Posted by sfinke 
Starting point for extruder calibration please
May 27, 2015 02:35AM
Having some difficulty calibrating my extruder with Slic3r. An extrusion multiplier of 90 results in massive over-extrusion while 86 under-extrudes so much that there are holes in the shell and gaps in the horizontal surfaces. Yes, I know I should try 88 and I will once I get some time but I was wondering if anyone here could chime in. The model is a simple 20x20x10 calibration block.

Material: eSun ABS
Extruder: 225 degrees
1 shell
100% infill

Thanks.

Sebastian

Flash Creator X
Creality CR-X
Anycubic Photon
Re: Starting point for extruder calibration please
May 27, 2015 08:54AM
AFAIAA, an extrusion factor of 90 means that you want to extrude at 90 times the standard rate. I have always used a real number rather than a percentage in that field - e.g. to have a 90% extrusion factor, I would put the figure 0.9 in that field. It's possible that Slic3r automatically interprets high numbers as being percentages, or will accept a "%" character as a suffix, I've not tried, but the fact that 90 gave a massive over-extrusion would indicate that it was interpreted as a whole number rather that a percentage.

The effect of using 86 is puzzling. Maybe it caused an arithmetic overflow in Slic3r, or maybe your initial try with 90 cause the extruder to skip so much it acted like a file on the filament and clogged your extruder so that afterwards it was slipping instead of gripping the filament (in which case it will need to be dismantled and cleaned with a wire brush or similar).

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login