Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing a tube (or how to not close hollow objects)

Posted by nbostaph 
Printing a tube (or how to not close hollow objects)
June 14, 2015 08:00PM
I'm relatively new to 3D printing. I purchased a Robo3D three months ago, and 3 weeks later returned it and bought a Makergear M2; much happier now. I've been using Slic3r mainly, but have also played around with Cura. But now I'm having an issue with a part I designed and I can't seem to figure it out.

My part includes a tube that will be connected to rubber tubing on one end and left open on the other (an outlet). I created the attached test file to demonstrate the problem. This file is a small right-angle piece of the tube that is hollow inside and should be open at either end so water can flow in and out. However, when I print it I always end up with an enclosed object. To complicate matters, though I can easily make this test part hollow by setting infill to 0%, I will need infill for the rest of the model when I print the full part, so I also need to find a way to print this tube hollow without turning off infill. But I guess one problem at a time.

So far I have tried:
  • Turning infill density to 0%
  • Checking off "only infill where needed"
  • Using Cura (which introduced a whole host of other problems)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Nicholas
Attachments:
open | download - Waterfall Tube and Top Test.stl (59.8 KB)
Re: Printing a tube (or how to not close hollow objects)
June 14, 2015 08:34PM
Hi Nicholas,

I think there's something screwy with your .stl file. What software did you ise to produce it? When I load it into Cura, I don't see any sidewalls between layer 34 and 92 (layer height = 0.1mm). If I rotate it through 90 degrees, there's still a section where the wall is missing.

I suspect that the walls are zero thickness? i.e. it's a solid object rather than a tube.

Frank
June 14, 2015 09:18PM
Hi Frank,

That's possible. I've worked with 3D programs like Bryce and Vue for a couple decades, but I'm very new to modeling 3D objects myself. I used FreeCAD to create this file, as it was the only software I could find within my budget winking smiley. When I look at it in FreeCAD I can see right through the tube so I assumed it was hollow, but the walls do look zero thickness and I wondered about that.

Would the solution be to learn how to modify the object in FreeCAD to have walls of non-zero thickness and then try exporting as STL again?

Thanks,
Nicholas
June 15, 2015 01:05AM
Yes, you'll need to build it properly in FreeCAD.

I'm not sure how I'd make your object... maybe start with a sketch of two concentric circles. Pad that to make a tube. Revolve it through 90 degrees to make the corner.

Also look at [www.thingiverse.com] to give you some ideas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login