Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 1.2.9 jerky prints

Posted by SpeedyDad1 
Slic3r 1.2.9 jerky prints
August 17, 2015 11:36PM
I was using Slic3r 1.1.7 with no problems. I downloaded v1.2.9 and love the new features but printing is very jerky. I imported my settings from the previous version and it seems whenever the printer makes a course change, the printer pauses briefly before continuing. This makes the prints MUCH longer, I then put the same object (any object) in the old version and print and the print is smooth. Any ideas? A setting I'm missing?
Re: Slic3r 1.2.9 jerky prints
August 18, 2015 03:54PM
If you edit both the old and new gcode files using Notepad, you will see your settings at the top and bottom of the files.
You can also use a file compare program to see what's different.
I like Beyond Compare, but there are many others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2015 03:55PM by Paul Wanamaker.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
August 18, 2015 10:52PM
Yes, that will allow me to see the generated gcode but what i need to know is what in the new version is causing the differences.
August 20, 2015 04:06AM
SpeedyDad1
I was using Slic3r 1.1.7 with no problems. I downloaded v1.2.9 and love the new features but printing is very jerky. I imported my settings from the previous version and it seems whenever the printer makes a course change, the printer pauses briefly before continuing. This makes the prints MUCH longer, I then put the same object (any object) in the old version and print and the print is smooth. Any ideas? A setting I'm missing?

Are you are printing from an attached PC via USB? Some combinations of printer hardware, PC operating system and host firmware (e.g. Arduino Mega/Windows/Pronterface) can't supply data over the USB interface fast enough to keep up with the printer. The usual workaround is to print from SD card instead. If the shapes you are printing are complicated, slic3r 1.2.9 may be generating more gcode than 1.1.7 did (e.g. shorter segments), which could explain the difference.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 20, 2015 12:01PM
I of course agree with dc42, quite possible.

Where in the print is it jerky?
If you care to attach the old and new gcode I will analyze them with my gcode debugger.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
August 22, 2015 03:00PM
I only print from SD card. I can print over USB and have no issues with that but prefer SD for the untethered aspect.

It is jerky where there are angled direction changes. Gentle curves seem alright but if it is an abrupt angle, it pauses. If the file attachment limit wasn't so low, I'd attach a video I took of it.

I'm at Bryce Canyon right now camping but when I get home, I'll post the gcode.
August 22, 2015 03:22PM
SpeedyDad1
It is jerky where there are angled direction changes. Gentle curves seem alright but if it is an abrupt angle, it pauses.

That sounds to me like a firmware issue, not a slicer issue. When you say that it pauses, do you mean that it comes to a near-standstill at the corner before resuming? Or do you mean that it comes to a standstill, and then pauses for a moment before resuming?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 23, 2015 10:53PM
It comes to a corner, pauses, and then continues. Would it be a firmware issue if it does it with 1.2.9 files and not 1.1.7 files?
August 24, 2015 02:32AM
Do you have any weird values in the 'Acceleration Control' found in 'Printer Settings' and then 'Speed'?
August 24, 2015 08:40PM
"Would it be a firmware issue if it does it with 1.2.9 files and not 1.1.7 files?"

No, I don't think so unless the gcode is now much more complex.

I have seen that the support outline is extraordinarily jagged in 1.2.9, but don't know if that happened before.

Can you post the two gcode files? Or use a free Dropbox (and create a folder with the files, post the link)?

That'd be the only way I can think of to determine what's happening.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login