Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to slow short segments

Posted by sick_layer 
How to slow short segments
November 13, 2015 03:26AM
I usually get bad results when short segments appear in the slice. To slow down printing speed seems to be the solution, but I don´t want to slow down all speeds. Is there anyway to slow just short segments? I mean something like auto cooling where you can slow down a layer if print time is too short.
Re: How to slow short segments
November 13, 2015 07:40AM
sick_layer
I usually get bad results when short segments appear in the slice. To slow down printing speed seems to be the solution, but I don´t want to slow down all speeds. Is there anyway to slow just short segments? I mean something like auto cooling where you can slow down a layer if print time is too short.

Yes - set the minimum layer time in "Filament Settings" > "Cooling" > "Cooling thresholds" > "Slow down if layer print time is below:" Set the time threshold to the time taken to print the longest line that is short enough to give you the problems (for me it is about 12 seconds).

You will find that this works well for short walls, but not for thin columns, because on a thin column (or apex of a pyramid or cone), the nozzle does not move very much and so keeps previous layers molten no matter how slow you print - in fact slowing makes matters worse. For that situation the easiest solution is to add a thin sacrificial column that is as high as the part, which will force the nozzle to move between the part and the column on alternate layers. Or if it is a small part, drop two (or three) of the same part on the bed when you slice.

Dave
November 13, 2015 12:37PM
@dmould, doesn't that slow down the entire layer? I think the OP just wants to slow down a short segment within the layer.
November 13, 2015 02:35PM
Reduce your jerk and acceleration values?
November 13, 2015 07:22PM
I will try acceleration, low enough can slow a short segment without slowing the long ones too much.
Thanks.
November 14, 2015 01:34PM
You can also set accelerations separately for Perimeters, Infill, Bridge, First Layer.

Under Print Settings, Speed, at the bottom.

Using that feature you could for instance:
- set your normal acceleration as default
- set just the perimeter acceleration lower.

No need to mess with your firmware to tune it. smiling smiley

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
November 16, 2015 07:44AM
Kurzaa
@dmould, doesn't that slow down the entire layer? I think the OP just wants to slow down a short segment within the layer.

I had assumed that the reason he wanted to do that was to prevent a single short wall overheating. If my assumption was incorrect and he requires the speed change for a different reason, then my post will not apply.

Dave
November 16, 2015 08:23AM
Maybe for mechanical vibrations. I sometimes find that if a line has many short zig zag segments, then I need slower speed, or else the nozzle tries to go through them with the same speed as long straight lines.
November 19, 2015 02:44AM
Acceleration made the work, thanks very much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login