Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pause after bed heat

Posted by RKMore 
Pause after bed heat
November 21, 2015 10:32AM
I have a homebrewed printer and my aluminum build plate is a bit bigger than my heater and the edge takes a little bit longer to reach temperature. I would like to insert a G4 Pxxx command after the M190 command. I can of course do this by hand but it would be great to have the ability to have Slic3r do it for me.

Any ideas on a way to handle this?

Thanks...
Re: Pause after bed heat
November 21, 2015 10:58AM
If you set the bed temperature to zero when you slice, then go to printer settings>custom g-code>start g-code and enter the M190 Sxxx bed temperature command followed by G4 Syy, it will heat the bed to xxx temperature then wait yy seconds before continuing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 10:59AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 21, 2015 11:31AM
Ahhh..... Very clever.

Thank you!
November 22, 2015 05:17AM
I've always wondered which command had priority: Start Gcode, or the slicer setting. I guess the Start does.
November 22, 2015 08:12PM
You actually don't have to trick it quite that much. If you hover over the Start G-code block it says that if it sees M104 or M190 commands in the start g-code it will not prepend those commands so you can alter the order of things. I use:

M140S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temperature
M190 ; wait for bed to reach temperature

in mine, and that can be placed anywhere in the start G-code sequence you want it.
November 23, 2015 07:49AM
Slic3r detects if a setting is defined in the start code and will then not output its own command. Better than fixing the temperature in your start code is to use Slic3r's variable names. e.g. in the start code put:

M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature]
G4 S120

Enter exactly as given, including the square brackets. The variable "first_layer_bed_temperature" will be replaced by the bed temperature setting in the G-code that is output. Substitute your desired delay in the G4 command line.

Dave
November 25, 2015 10:57PM

Does this mean that you would not put your desired temp in the start code, but would put it in the slicer settings instead?
November 25, 2015 11:14PM
RRuser
I've always wondered which command had priority: Start Gcode, or the slicer setting. I guess the Start does.

Neither statement "takes priority". They are both executed - but in the order provided. The start G Code is put onto the front of the G Code generated by Slic3r, so the Slic3r generated code will actually trump the start G code by virtue of being executed later.

To answer your subsequent question:

Yes - slic3r allows many variables to be inserted into the Start and End G Code like this.

Check out this link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 11:15PM by jbernardis.
November 26, 2015 07:36AM
RRuser

Does this mean that you would not put your desired temp in the start code, but would put it in the slicer settings instead?

That is correct, yes. Using variables in the start code (and tool change code if you have multiple extruders) is often very convenient - it means you can use the same code for ABS and PLA, for example, and you do not have to remember to change the start code when tweaking things. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a definitive list of all the available variable names. The placeholder variable for the extruder temperature is [first_layer_temperature]

Dave
December 04, 2015 06:37PM
As far as I know, the list is the same as is put into the end of the gcode file you save from Slic3r.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login