Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto-Rotate Model on Load

Posted by nopick 
Auto-Rotate Model on Load
December 01, 2015 02:47PM
Is there a way to auto-rotate the model around the Z axis x degrees when the model is loaded? I have found this helps avoid problems at corners when printing thin walled objects with square corners.
Re: Auto-Rotate Model on Load
December 02, 2015 04:52AM
Object > Rotate > Around Z axix
December 02, 2015 06:55AM
Right. That's what I am doing now. I am asking if there is a way to automatically perform that rotation when the model is loaded.

Thanks!
December 02, 2015 07:45AM
I'm not sure I understand why you need to do that when it is so trivial to do so after loading. Perhaps you could rotate the model in the design software before exporting as an STL. Or rotate the STL in another application (e.g. OpenScad) before loading into Slic3r.

Dave
December 02, 2015 07:49AM
Or use Netfabb Basic to rotate and save as you want it printed!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 02, 2015 08:58AM
I have hundreds of models already designed so going back and editing all of them is not the preferred solution. I suppose if you are printing one or two parts now and then, it would seem trivial. I prepare beds of 8 - 12 parts three or four times a day for each of my printers so, it would be a huge time saver to me if I could apply a 5 degree Z rotation as the part is loaded. I saw this option in another slicer and wondered if it was possible in Slic3r. I did not see a setting for it so, I though I would ask here.

Thanks.
December 02, 2015 09:03AM
Being able to select all loaded models and rotate them together would be fantastic but, multi-select is not an option.
December 03, 2015 07:04AM
If the rotation needed is always the same for each of your 100's of parts, I suggest that rotating the STL's would be the best way to go. It can take less than a minute and you only need to do it once per model. Not really any more effort than making a batch file (or whatever) that contains the rotation to use at load time, and less effort in the long run than setting the rotation by hand every time you load.

Dave
December 03, 2015 08:52PM
The command line version has a --rotate switch that rotates the model about the Z axis by the number of degrees you specify. You will have to pass it the switches for your INI files as well, along with any other changes you want to make.
December 04, 2015 01:46AM
There are 3 different axes to rotate around and infinite number of degrees around each one. How in the world could slic3r know how to "automatically" rotate??
December 04, 2015 08:54AM
jbernardis
There are 3 different axes to rotate around and infinite number of degrees around each one. How in the world could slic3r know how to "automatically" rotate??

That's helpful.

If you read my original post you will notice I am asking if there is a way to automatically rotate the model x number of degrees around the Z axis when it is loaded.

Thanks for the help everyone. It looks like Slic3r doesn't have the ability to do this right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 08:55AM by nopick.
December 04, 2015 11:50AM
We read your post OK, but how would Slic3r (or any other program) "automatically" know what rotation you would like it to apply to each of your models?

Dave
December 04, 2015 12:45PM
dmould, why are you jumping in like this? You were helpful previously. jbernardis useless post is what I was responding to.

It isn't going to automatically know how much I want it to rotate. It would automatically apply my desired rotation per axis based on a value I would enter.

This function is available in Simplify 3D however, S3D has issues with the thin walled parts I print. Slic3r can produce the results I need and I like using and supporting open source hardware and software.

Here is the set up screen for auto import rotation in S3D. Maybe that will help you understand what I was looking for. It seems Slic3r is not capable of this just yet.

Thanks, again, to those that provided useful input.
December 04, 2015 03:03PM
jbernardis

Well, either it could be configured in an ini script with the axis to use the way netfabb does it in their GUI or, as the Slic3r command line version does, it could assume rotation about Z.
December 04, 2015 03:39PM
It does look like the command line option would work but that doesn't allow me to position parts for the best fit.

The easiest solution, in my case, would be the ability to select all models on the bed and apply a rotation manually. Or, add a fine rotation button alongside the current 45 degree button.
December 06, 2015 08:27AM
A bit dark ages, but you could use a windows macro to move the cursor to each model on the list and then set the rotation for each one, while you watch.
December 07, 2015 11:44PM
Nopick,
I'm glad you found a way.
There is another way to handle this kind of thing.
After you position/rotate your part, click the Export STL option, and it will be saved with that position and rotation.
You can do that for a whole plate of parts (I believe they become one larger STL). I'ts not automatic, but that part is correct ever after.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login