Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r and automatic support generations

Posted by gafu 
Slic3r and automatic support generations
December 28, 2015 09:00AM
Hi,

i am using slic3r with one printer for about 1 year until now.
Its a nice thing of software, and the nicest thing in this slicing software is the gap fill procedure.
Others do nothing (so you get separated perimeters with no infill) in small gaps (skeinforge) oder fill the smallest gaps with infill, so it makes a lot noise and vibrations from the fast small moves (cura).

But one thing is a bit annoying. Its the support material generation auf slic3r.
One thing is support structures inside of small holes. When i do a small 3mm hole für little screw its no problem to print this without supports. But some parts need support structures at another place, so if i do activate supports i have to peel out this from every little hole.
I think it will be a good thing for future releases to have an option to deactivate support for areas smaller than "x" mm², ore for holes up to 5..8mm diameter too.

The second thing is distance from outer support towers near the object perimeter. Especially in little holes supports along x oder y axis slic3r makes very near to the object perimeter small support towers, and often they do get one part with the outer perimeter in heated chamber prints with abs. So its much work to get this off und makes a bad surface after get this off. In the slic3r settings i havent found an options to tune the minimum distance between support and perimeters.

Last thing is minimal supports.
For a lot of parts a minimal support with one line every layer is enough to print a good part.
Something like this green parts in the picture:

Can this type of support made by a automated support generator?

So i hope this suggestions can initiate some improvement of the slic3r support generator.

CTC 3D Drucker, fabrikator II mini, ultimaker-diy,
Modifizierter Prusa I3 Boxed.
Baubericht im Blog: [blog.gafu.de]
Re: Slic3r and automatic support generations
December 28, 2015 09:17AM
Here are 2 more pictures:

this is the support structure, generated with slicer 1.2.9

and this is how it comes out with minimal support:

CTC 3D Drucker, fabrikator II mini, ultimaker-diy,
Modifizierter Prusa I3 Boxed.
Baubericht im Blog: [blog.gafu.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login