Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Custom bed shape

Posted by Tinchus 
Custom bed shape
March 24, 2016 10:33AM
Hi all. I have configured a custom bed shape. I have atached the file. basically is a square of around 203mm. In the corners I have made a cut where the nuts of the bed levelling system goes.

My questions are: slic3r takes the size of this stl file as the size of the bed? and about the shape of the bed, in the left lower corner, where a nut is suposed to be. That would be coordinates X0 Y0.... will slic3r avoid this place when homeing?

Thanks in advance
Attachments:
open | download - plato_impresoa.STL (2.2 KB)
Re: Custom bed shape
March 24, 2016 11:13AM
Slic3r won't use the areas outside the defined bed during the print but the slicer has no role in the actual homing. It just commands the firmware to home the machine. The point of homing is to find where the machine is. Until you've homed, it doesn't know where it is, so it doesn't know what areas to avoid.

You can develop a more sophisticated homing routine and put it into your start g-code. Some suggestions:

Home the X axis, then home the other axes. This should only cause a crash if Z is below the height of the nuts and along X from them.

Home the Y axis, then home the other axes. This should only cause a crash if Z is below the height of the nuts and along Y from them.

Move Z up by the height of the nuts, then home X and Y, then home Z. This should only cause a crash if Z is within the height of the nuts from maximum travel.

Home Z, then move Z up by the height of the nuts, then home the other axes. This should only cause a crash if the nozzle is directly on top of one of the nuts.

Any of those crash scenarios should be exceedingly rare, especially if you use an end g-code that places the nozzle somewhere that's OK for the homing routine you want to use.
March 24, 2016 11:42AM
thanks for your suggestions. My actual homeing routine home X, then Y and Z in the end. I have configured my Y endstop so the nuts are out of the limits and the point X0 Y0 Z0 dont proveque the noozle crashing against the nut. The bad thing is that I loos 0.6 mm of each side of the building plate.

If I want to take full advantage of my building plate, is it posible to bulid this routine?:

1- Home X
2- Home Y
3- move Y 10mm (previous step to home Z and keep the nut away from Z when homeing)
4- home Z

Would this be posible? Where the code should be placed? Can it be made also in the firmware (so the homeing all axis from the LCD control also will work correctly)

Thanks in advance
March 24, 2016 03:44PM
G-code for what you describe would be

G28 X
G28 Y
G1 Y10
G28 Z

Through Slic3r you can just replace the G28 in your start g-code setting with that sequence. If you're running RepRapFirmware you can replace the contents of the homeall.g file on your SD card with that sequence, which will change the machine's default behavior whenever G28 is called. Any other firmware of which I'm aware would require you to edit the firmware configuration files and reflash to change the default behavior.
March 24, 2016 09:30PM
Gret. Im useing repetier firmware, so I will find out where I can change the homing command.

Thanks a lot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login