Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature request: Increase infill to the top..

Posted by Replace 
Feature request: Increase infill to the top..
July 19, 2016 06:33AM
I often have prints that do not need much infill, except when the print comes to the top.

2 examples:

A sphere shape, in which increased infill will support the overhang beter
An object that has friction when in use, so increased infill will function as a wear layer.

So when starting with f.i. an 15% infill, I would like to gradually increase that to 80 % from certain height upwards.
Printing all masive or at 80% would increase print time and material by the numbers :-(

Would that be sensible and adopted ?

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 06:34AM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Feature request: Increase infill to the top..
July 19, 2016 11:17AM
I don't remember off the top of my head if this can be done based on height but you can make an STL that includes the parts of the model you want to change and load it as a modifier.
July 19, 2016 11:26AM
Do you mean cutting the object in pieces and slice one piece (the top one) with different options ?

I have no idea how to do that or how to stack objects on each other ... if that is ment.

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
July 21, 2016 02:55AM
July 21, 2016 09:27AM
Mikk36
No, [slic3r.org]

Ahh, that seems a nice way to act.

However, in the example.... 2 questions:

• ...why is the cube that is loaded not printed?
  • ...Should the cube contain the negative piece as a hole ? Or just be at the right position ?

July 21, 2016 09:41AM
The cube is not part of what is printed, it is used purely to define the area to which the alternate print settings will be applied. Note that it is not loaded onto the build plate in the normal way, but is loaded as a "modifier mesh" - read the tutorial carefully.

Dave
July 21, 2016 10:34AM
Thanks for the elaborattion.

This will improve my designer life a lot :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login