Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

rotate object to touch bed fully

Posted by bertvaneyken 
rotate object to touch bed fully
December 29, 2016 02:08PM
Hi,

I have an STL object that I cannot get flat on the bed.
The bottom part should touch as a cylinder but the first layer is just a cut in 1/3 cylinder.

1° degree rotation is too much, is there a tool to let it sink one layer?

Thx,
Bert
Re: rotate object to touch bed fully
December 29, 2016 03:40PM
Try enabling auto-location... worked for me.
December 29, 2016 04:10PM
I cannot find that function, a search in the manual helped me neither..

It is of by half degree but slic3r does not accept rotiation with decimal values.
December 30, 2016 03:13AM
You can use the "cut" option in the object settings window.
December 30, 2016 03:34PM
Oops... sorry.Auto-centering (under Preferences in the File menu) will move an object so that it touches the build plane, but it won't rotate it to lie flat. Maybe I mis-remembered that from Cura?

I don't see how doing a cut would help, except that you could slice off the bottom of your object, leaving a horizontal surface. I guess that would be useful if it was "near enough".

I guess the answer is to use some 3rd-party STL manipulator (FreeCAD? MeshLab? OpenSCAD? Meshmixer? Cura?) to rotate the STL and save it again before loading it into Slic3r.
December 30, 2016 04:10PM
Why is the stl file tilted? If it's your own design, go back to the CAD source, level the object and reexport the stl file. If it's from Thingiverse, let this be a lesson to you about grabbing stuff from Thingiverse. There's a lot of crap out there. Avoid anything that doesn't have a photo of the printed part. There are a lot of "designers" on Thingiverse and similar sites who have never 3D printed anything and haven't a clue about what needs to be done to make a file printable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 11:32PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 30, 2016 04:41PM
I have that particular object seen printing so that was not the real issue.

The cut suggestion from o_lampe was the missing trick, thanks!
December 31, 2016 04:49PM
Blender is good with rotating STL objects in all 3 axis's. Just import STL file, rotate and export STL file..
I use it quite often with changing objects that I print.
You may design something and then add another piece and then find its better to print an object upside down rather than re-designing the object the correct way up in your CAD program.
At times you may think its better to 3D print the object at a different angle to what you designed the object.

Just another tool that's good to have.
January 04, 2017 09:03AM
This might help:

Import the .STL in Openscad.
Intersection it with a cube that is the buildplate.

As long as you have results, you can rotate the object (in decimals) until no intersection left.
For checks, lower the object a bit and recheck.
Thus it is aligned.
Remove the cube and export the object again.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login