Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r and printer communication potentially inaccurate?

Posted by Lexar 
Slic3r and printer communication potentially inaccurate?
July 29, 2017 05:06PM
My printer seems to have a problem printing big things, but not for smaller things. For example, when we printed this, the printer apparently decided to do a poor job and call it a night. We deceided to print a small model, which printed fine, and then we decided to print a big model (specifically, a rocket.). Pretty much the same thing happened. Looking at the Layers section of Slic3r, I saw what it should have been printing (You can see the outlines of the model as it progresses upward), and from looking at our host, OctoPrint, at the G-Code viewer and looking ahead, it was printing a cylinder. This was it at 50%. It was wayy too short and it wasnt printing the right thing

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and what to do to fix it?
Re: Slic3r and printer communication potentially inaccurate?
July 31, 2017 04:12AM
What's the history of your printer? Did it print anything correctly with a different slicer?
Have you ever calibrated the printer, printing test-cubes?
July 31, 2017 07:29AM
If you are having problems with the geometry of prints, it will be a fault with the printer, not the slicer. Go back to basics and do the basic calibrations, then do a few fast moves to see whether the belts, motors or pulleys are slipping.

Dave
August 01, 2017 11:18AM
o_lampe
What's the history of your printer? Did it print anything correctly with a different slicer?
Have you ever calibrated the printer, printing test-cubes?

Its brand new (from scratch). We have not tried anything yet with a different slicer but we have printed small to medium builds successfully (including test cubes).
August 01, 2017 11:22AM
dmould
If you are having problems with the geometry of prints, it will be a fault with the printer, not the slicer. Go back to basics and do the basic calibrations, then do a few fast moves to see whether the belts, motors or pulleys are slipping.

Dave

I dont think thats an issue. Here's an example of whats happening. Just to see what happens, we tried to print the Interstage_001.STL file from here and here's the Layers preview for Slic3r at the very last layer, and heres the last layer for OctoPrint. As you can see, Slic3r is displaying the entire thing, but when the file is transferred to GCode, it appears part of the file is transferred successfully or OctoPrint isn't handling large builds well.

In previous attempts, the same thing happened.Slic3r showed me one thing, while OctoPrint showed me another, which is wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2017 11:35AM by Lexar.
August 02, 2017 02:09AM
When you print with Octoprint, you see a summary of the file data in the preview window.
There you can see the total number of layers. Does it match the slic3r preview?

Another thought: Did you accidently assign solid infill to an extruder that isn't there?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login