Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Size limits on slicing?

Posted by Wolf1987 
Size limits on slicing?
August 15, 2017 07:32PM
I am working with a bioprinter and print filaments on the scale of 0.250 - 0.500 microns. I am currently using a nozzle with a diameter of 0.230 microns. When I try to slice custom models that are on the scale of a millimeter or smaller I am not able to slice it correctly using repetier host using slic3er. The model I have tried to slice is a cylinder to represent a basic blood vessel. It is 5 mm in diameter with walls that are 0.5 mm thick. When I slice it nothing shows up in the print preview or it shows up in a completely wrong manner. I provided a screenshot of what the .STL file looks like when opened in repetier and also the disfigured shape after slicing.

Another problem I am having is that when I change my filament size to under 1 mm in the in the "filament setting" tab in sli3er I receive an error saying "invalid value for filament diameter." I have provided a screenshot of the location where I am trying to change the filament diameter and also the error message.

Another problem I am having is that when I try to slice a cube with pores smaller than 1 mm the preview comes out with the pores becoming irregular shapes instead of circular. I have provided screenshots.

My thought is that it has something to do with the filament diameter in slic3r being 1 mm, but I am trying to print objects with dimensions significantly smaller, knowing that my printer is capable of that.

Thanks to anyone that can provide any assistance, on one question or all of them.
Re: Size limits on slicing?
August 15, 2017 11:22PM
How thick are the layers?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 16, 2017 02:25AM
Maybe the best workaround would be to scale up your parts until the slicing result fits your needs.
Then you also have to change printer firmware to shrink the oversize gcode file back to original scale.
August 16, 2017 04:44AM
Give a try to a different slicer software maybe. Cura for instance ?

Slic3r was known in the past to use slicing "tricks" that might not scale well.

Also out of curiosity what would the material be here ? Such a tiny filament...

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
August 16, 2017 06:45AM
works ok with the new cura engine in repetier host V2.0.1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 07:12AM by obewan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login