Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r cutting out text in what appears to be an error free model

Posted by 2ndBest 
Slic3r cutting out text in what appears to be an error free model
September 23, 2017 05:31PM
Hello Everyone,

I am having difficulty slicing a model I made and am wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue and may have a solution. I have a small detailed model with lots of 3d text (picture 1). When I export the completed model as an STL I have checked it in meshmixer and it appears to have no errors (picture 2). I can import the model into Slic3r and in the preview page it looks fine (picture 3). Sometimes but not all the time (I have remade the model from scratch several times attempting to fix the problem) Slic3r says there are a few manifold errors that are autocorrected. If the STL is exported from Slic3r and reopened and inspected in meshmixer it looks the same as before with no errors. When I go to slice the model most of it ends up cut out. I either end up with bits of floating text, a mostly solid disk, or on rare occasions the model more or less as intended. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to which outcome I end up with. I attached a few pictures of wildly varying sliced previews for reference (picture 4-6). The issue is I need to make minor adjustments to the model to get good print quality and I frequently have to rebuild the model from scratch after each change to get it to reslice properly after each minor modification. On the latest correction the rebuilt from scratch model did not even slice properly so I need to figure out how to fix this issue to continue. I suspect that the the way the file is getting converted into and from STL format is where the problem is originating but dona't have any way to verify that as it looks good in meshmixer.

What do you all think, has anyone run into this problem before?
Attachments:
open | download - Foot Calvary .jpg (220 KB)
open | download - Foot Calvary 2 .jpg (220.3 KB)
open | download - Foot Calvary 3.jpg (213.8 KB)
open | download - Foot Calvary 4.jpg.png (310.8 KB)
open | download - Foot Calvary 5.jpg (240.3 KB)
open | download - Foot Calvary 6.jpg (264 KB)
Re: Slic3r cutting out text in what appears to be an error free model
September 24, 2017 03:08AM
I can only give general tipps: Try slicing it for a smaller nozzle or try to use ( if you haven't already ) "detect thin walls" feature.
Re: Slic3r cutting out text in what appears to be an error free model
September 25, 2017 12:21AM
Me too, I can only add a general tip:

Make sure that any cut-out does not have the same surface level at either top or bottom.
So, do not subtract an object that is precise as thick, but make the subtracted object a bit thicker and stick out ......

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login