Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bed not turning off after print has completed

Posted by buildcomplete 
bed not turning off after print has completed
December 09, 2017 06:02PM
Just made my first print with slic3r,
it came out 'ok'
But I was very surprised to see that the bed was not turned of after print had completed.

I know some of you are not going to be happy about it... but since it was a long print, I left the printer unatended for quite a few hours, also after the print was finished.
was surprised when I came home since the print was still hot...
and more surprised that the bed was still 50 degrees.

Considering safety. I think two different solutions could be be good here:
  1. show tip in the GUI near the bed temperature, that by default bed temperature is left unchanged after print has completed.
  2. Or add to end gcode: M140 S0 ; turn of bed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 06:03PM by buildcomplete.
Re: bed not turning off after print has completed
December 10, 2017 08:49PM
For some reason Slic3r defaults to shutting off the extruder heater but leaves the bed heater turned on. Just add the M140 S0 command to Printer Settings>Custom G-code>End G-code.

Leaving printers unattended is necessary, especially for long prints. Printers that require baby sitting while printing, to ensure that they don't burn your house down, are junk. No one would accept a clothes washer, or dryer that has to be watched. Why would anyone accept a 3D printer that has to be watched?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 12, 2017 04:32PM
I agree the printers should be safe, but I haven't seen any there are.

and I still think it would be a good idea that slic3r instructed in the necesity or defaulted to turn of the bed
Perhaps you agree? I am not sure what your point is.
December 13, 2017 01:33AM
Kind of apples and oranges comparing UL-listed consumer products the core technologies for which haven't substantially changed since the '50s against products homemade partially from repurposed off-the-shelf components to provide capabilities that mere years ago were the realm of science fiction, in many cases for lower purchase price than the consumer products.

I'm reasonably comfortable mine are robust. I'm not bet-my-house-on -it comfortable.
December 13, 2017 05:19PM
You're saying the price of this super sci-fi technology is that we should expect to burn down a house once in a while?

It doesn't matter if it's a 3D printer or a washing machine, cutting corners at every decision point is what leads to houses burning down. There's nothing inherently dangerous in a 3D printer, except poor design and construction practices, many of which are easily remedied by spending a little more money to buy adequately rated parts, and include a few basic safety components and practices into the construction of the machine. Keeping a 3D printer from burning your house down is no different than keeping a coffee maker or clothes dryer from burning your house down. The techniques are well and widely known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 09:02PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login