Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generate support only for first layers

Posted by MiquelAdell 
Generate support only for first layers
May 04, 2018 06:12AM
Hi,

I'm trying to print ekul3e3's Swirly Bracelet and it's proving quite difficult because the "links" lift up after the first layers.

I tried with a 4 layer raft and the raft sticks to the build plate perfectly are the links that lift up.

There is an option on slic3r that I guess would do just what I need "enforce support for the first N layers".

The links have a really small contact point with the buildplate so supports from some layers would help... but I don't want supports elsewhere as I don't think I would be able to remove them afterwards.

this is what happens:
I check
* generate support
* for the first n layers
* buildplate only

and I get this:

I tried unchecking generate support (assuming the for the N layers would override it) but then I get just the raft.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or this feature is not doing what it was supposed to do.

As I did not manage to generate support just for some layers I also tried loading a modifier but it seems that you can not modify support for a modifier. Really don't know why. The option on the menu to add options does not have any submenu.

It's not disabled on a "per object basis" so I tried to slice the spiral in two, bottom 2mm and top minus 2mm but I can not place one object on top of another (as diferent objects, I can as diferent parts of the same object (via load part) but then I can not edit the support setting again).

I read somwhere that there is an option on slic3r called something like "objects fall to buildplate" but I can not find neither the option on the program nor documentation on it.

My prefered solution would be to understand how "generate support for the first N layers" work and just apply that to the spiral. But any solution that lets me have supports only touching the outside of the spiral would work for me.

Thanks!
Re: Generate support only for first layers
May 05, 2018 04:07AM
Did you try "brim" instead of raft?
Enforcing support only means the support structure is beefier for n-layers, but not limited to n.
May 05, 2018 05:05PM
It's a little more work, but you could generate gcode files with and without support and paste the later layers of the one without support over the later layers of the one with support and then save it in whatever Apple calls their plain text editing software.
May 17, 2018 02:11PM
Change overhang threshold to 8 or less
It worked for me.

Another solution was to manually create the support. An example was to resize the object (larger) and make a Boolean operation with a perforated cylinder of the desired height. The result will load it into slic3r as part and set it manually as if it were a support... But fortunately you do not need this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 02:12PM by MaurinoWeb.

I love free projects ;-)
My projects: [www.3dingegno.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login