Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

let emtpy space inside model

Posted by magrigian 
let emtpy space inside model
August 20, 2018 09:18AM
Hi, I would like to let an empty space inside my object. Asa sample consider one empty ball inside a cube.

STL is easy and pefetct. Simplify3D manages it correctly but slic3r fills the empty space with infill as cavity is not present.
I tryed many options without solution.
No idea about how to proceed.
Re: let emtpy space inside model
August 20, 2018 11:58AM
Use a spherical modifier mesh. Create a sphere that fills the ball in your CAD file and export the STL for the sphere separately from the main part stl file. In slic3r, drop the main part on the plater, then bring in the sphere stl as a modifier mesh and set its infill to 0%.

There's a tutorial on modifier meshes here: [slic3r.org]

If you try to print a sphere that doesn't use infill, the top of the sphere will come out very bad because it is a very steep overhang that normally would require support. It might be better to print your object as two parts, with the halves of the sphere both facing upward, then glue it together after printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2018 12:02PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 20, 2018 12:49PM
Unfortunately sphere and cube is the easiest way to explain what I need. My object is more complex, but solving sphere in tthe cube i get the solution also for my project.
I cannot cut because I need resistence. But was a good idea!
August 20, 2018 03:16PM
You cans till use a modifier mesh. Just make a solid that fills the void in your model in the CAD software and export it as an stl file.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login