Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print not manifold

Posted by ruggb 
Print not manifold
September 29, 2018 08:57PM
I am using Sketchup 2017 Make, Repetier 2.1.3, and Slic3r 1.3.1 dev
I have a model that checks out as manifold in SU with Solid Inspector2 and SU Solid tests and with Netfabb online. I load it to Repetier and it says it is not mainfold. I slice it anyway and Slic3r can't close loops. Lots of them.

How do I resolve this?
Re: Print not manifold
September 29, 2018 10:06PM
well, I found it. I had to start taking it apart piece by piece and testing each change. It was a flat face that wasn't EXACTLY square to the axis. So, who's problem is it, besides mine???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2018 10:07PM by ruggb.
September 30, 2018 04:48PM
It's sketchup's problem. Sketchup is the worst CAD you can use for 3D printing- most sketchup sourced STLs require repair before they can be printed. That isn't the way things are supposed to work and isn't how they work with almost any other CAD program.

Sketchup's problems start with the way curves are represented. In sketchup, all curves are polygons, not curves. That means certain common operations are very difficult or impossible. I gave up on sketchup when I tried to look up how to draw a tangent between two circles and discovered that it's not possible because circles aren't circles in sketchup. You can draw lines between polygon vertices, but unless you're very lucky, they won't be "tangent" to the polygons. Filleting edges is almost impossible.

If you want the ease of use of sketchup, but much more power and a short learning curve, try DesignSpark mechanical. It's free and in the 3 years I used it, never produced an STL file that required repair. Filleting edges and drawing tangents to curves are one click each.

If you want to use a professional package, try Fusion360. Hobbyist/education license is free. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are plenty of on-line tutorials and a very good help system.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 30, 2018 07:42PM
Hey Doc, you sent me lots of good tips, but dissing Sketchup is not one of them.
Yeah, SU has some issues but it is easy. All the rest of them have issues also - just different. I have DS on my system, but I can't seem to even get started. It does things much different than SU.

Most times when I import STLs someone else made, there are issues with them so apparently it is a standards problem. I doubt one can blame a particular CAD program. But I haven't researched it.

HOWEVER, I submitted the STL to Netfabb and the STL it "fixed" had the same issue. So why doesn't Slic3r or Repetier like it. Do you think Netfabb favors SU?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 07:43PM by ruggb.
September 30, 2018 11:27PM
SU is an architectural modeling program, never intended for machining or 3D printing (the fact the stl export is plug-in should tell you that).

I agree it's easy to use and has some really awesome physics simulation features, but it flat out sucks for generating models for 3D printing- unless you like having to repair them before you can print.

Once you get through the learning curve on a real CAD program, you'll look back and ask yourself what you were thinking when you were repairing all those models.

October 01, 2018 09:08AM
The biggest problem I find with SU is that of drawing a line from POINT A to POINT B. It is too easy for it to jump off the point unless u are close up and there is no other option. I don't think I created the problem I had to fix. It was done with whatever program the author created the model with - I don't think it was SU since other things were not like SU would do.

It is still a mystery why the Netfabb "fix" file was also considered not manifold. I don't think there were any "leaks" in the file. It just didn't like that slightly sloped face.

But I keep trying DS and getting frustrated.
October 01, 2018 10:17AM
Sites like Thingiverse and youmagine.com are full of bad files. "Designers" post things that are unprintable or won't work for whatever purpose they were designed. There are two clues to crap files: no photo of a printed part, and the Sketchup "look" to the images that are posted. They aren't necessarily all bad, but when you see either of those, approach the design with caution.

October 01, 2018 11:50AM
Most of them I have to modify anyway, but a few I tried printing straight up and they were bad.
I hate sloppy work.
BTW, I have my printer working so nice with the MIC6 bed and PEI. I also added a Piezo device on the extruder for a Z endstop and bed probe. It works like a dream. extremely consistent and no adjustment necessary - only problem, PLA does not stick very well or at all to the PEI. Others seem to have the same issue but no one had a solution. So I still do PLA on glass with hair spray. The ABS sticks just fine to the PEI. Switching back and forth is easy not having to adjust the endstop.

I
October 01, 2018 03:16PM
Hmmm, PLA sticks well to PEI in my printer. I use 70C for the first layer and drop to 60C for the remainder of the print, nozzle is typically 235 for the first layer dropping to 225 for the rest of the print. Wipe the PEI with IPA once in a while to maintain stickiness. I often have to gently pry the print off the bed when it's finished after the bed cools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 03:17PM by the_digital_dentist.

October 02, 2018 07:55PM
where did u get ur PEI?
October 03, 2018 06:26AM
[www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login