Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble with thin walled cylinder! eye popping smiley

Posted by 1000Calories 
Trouble with thin walled cylinder! eye popping smiley
November 21, 2018 05:30PM
I had this design printed by other people through 3D Hubs before. So I know the STL is not the issue. I can't figure out what settings to use. This piece is very small. I assume 0% infill is a definite on this. The walls are literally 1/16". Just a newbie since I finally got my first printer set up and running well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 05:31PM by 1000Calories.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (7.9 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (7.4 KB)
Re: Trouble with thin walled cylinder! eye popping smiley
November 22, 2018 10:09AM
Your image from slicer tells you what the problem is- the grid is 10mm squares. The problem is that your part is designed in inches. You need to scale up the part by 2540%.in slic3r.

99% of 3D printers ( and 100% of those that you're likely to have access to) use metric units. In the future, you'll save yourself some trouble if you design parts in mm instead of inches. Once you get used to doing things in mm, you'll never want to go back to imperial units.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 22, 2018 12:22PM
Wow, thanks for the help! I normally use mm, however in Autodesk Inventor, it naturally selects inches. I didn't know if there was a setting for the units in Slic3r. When you said my image tells me what the problem is, what do you mean?
November 23, 2018 12:44AM
The grid in slicer is divided into 10mm squares. Your object is much smaller than 1 square. Then you said the walls are 1/16" thick. All clues point to imperial units...

There's no setting for the units in slic3r- slicer assumes mm. But you can convert an object designed in inches to mm by scaling by 2540%

It should be easy to change the default units in AI to mm.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 23, 2018 11:26PM
It worked well! However I think I may need to switch to a smaller nozzle to get the finest result. I'll just keep it on millimeters in Inventor. I didn't even realize that Slicer only uses that unit. Normally I make sure nothing is interfering when designing and uploading.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login