Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanted: Massive Layer Heights

Posted by s.jo 
Wanted: Massive Layer Heights
July 01, 2019 03:29PM
I'm printing clay and want to experiment with pushing layer heights above what makes sense for my nozzle. My nozzle is 1.2mm and I want to print up to 9mm layer height to experiment with distortion. BUT Slic3r won't let me. How can I override reasonable layer heights?

Here are the relevant settings I've set so far:

Print Settings > Layers & Perimeters > Layer Height > 9mm
Filament Settings > Diameter > 1.2mm
Printer Settings > Nozzle Diameter > 1.2mm
Printer Settings > Extruder 1 > Limits > Min > 0.6mm
Printer Settings > Extruder 1 > Limits > Max > 9mm

What am I missing?

Also, attaching gcode if it's helpful.
Attachments:
open | download - Large Test Cube.gcode (27.5 KB)
Re: Wanted: Massive Layer Heights
July 02, 2019 10:31AM
If you're trying to "pour" the molten plastic, why not just put in an offset so the nozzle is a few mm above the print? Then you can set the layer thickness to some value that slic3r will allow, say 1mm.

The way you're trying to do it, the nozzle will keep getting higher and higher above the print and after a layer or two, the plastic will probably solidify before it lands on the print and you'll just have a bird's nest. But maybe that's what you're trying to do....?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 03, 2019 03:01AM
You could scale the height by a factor of 10, i.e. tell Slic3r to compress the Z axis to 1/10 of the original height, using 0.9mm layers. Then in your firmware increase the Z steps/mm by a factor of 10. Also reduce the Z maximum speed, acceleration and homing speeds in firmware by a factor of 10.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 10, 2019 02:33PM
Yes, I'm printing in clay, not plastic, and want to experiment with distortion, not conventional printing. I want each layer to be offset, not just the first layer. Slic3r is setting limits on that for obvious reasons because as you say it would result in a bird's nest in plastic. But I'm trying to find a way around that.

By "put in an offset so the nozzle is a few mm above the print", do you mean for the initial layer, or for each layer? If for each layer, can you point me to that setting? I have already tried these settings:

Print Settings > Layers & Perimeters > Layer Height > 9mm
Filament Settings > Diameter > 1.2mm
Printer Settings > Nozzle Diameter > 1.2mm
Printer Settings > Extruder 1 > Limits > Min > 0.6mm
Printer Settings > Extruder 1 > Limits > Max > 9mm
August 20, 2019 02:17PM
In case anyone else is looking for this, I figured it out.

Slicer > Plater > Layer Heights (this is separate from layer height functionality in Print Settings) > Layer Height Table > choose your Min Z and Max Z and your chosen layer height. In this image (attached) I'm using an 8mm nozzle and 8mm layer height.

Here's more info on that setting:

[manual.slic3r.org] (near bottom of page). As it says:

"The layer height table allows to define a layer height for a particular range along the Z axis, given in millimeters. The values from this table will override both, the default and adaptively generated layer heights, but not the interactively modified curve in the Adaptive layers tab."

Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 02:17PM by s.jo.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_8893.jpg (158.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login