Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving from Cura...help?

Posted by BlueRidge 
Moving from Cura...help?
February 03, 2020 09:53AM

Short issue: The attached image shows Slic3r on the bottom and Cura on top. It is the same model.

The slicer print has strange formations on the base that is thicker, but the thinner wall is great. Also Slic3r make the base portion larger.

Also, the slicer print crashes the Z-axis, i.e. prior to printing it lowers it beyond the stop, though there is no negative setup in the file. To make it work, I have to manually create a higher "false" Z-axis stop position.

Ideas? Personally I think it is the Z-axis lift that is added to make PETG work a bit better. I will try it without it, but the lowering of the Z-axis makes testing hard. For Slic3r I started with the Prusa PETG setup, and there may be gcode that lowers the Z-axis...I have looked but not found any.

Longer: I am trying to move to Slic3r as there is greater control of Z-axis seams, less globbing and better bridging fan management. It is also faster by far and lays out walls efficiently. It will multilayer print a wall section, then move on to other areas...it appears to shave 10% print times. Supports and infill seem more logical and effective as well. I also really like the Slic3r system of profiles for Printer, Filament and Print. If I can get it to work, it would be simple to manage.

I am not a 3d pro, but have working familiarity with most of the concepts and was able to tweak Cura to get the working print shown. It is eSUN PETG and was finicky to get dialed in. I am printing with a TAZ 5 that was obsoleted at my workplace due to it being a high touch printer in favor of a new Prusa unit.

Finally, forgive the link to the image...I tried uploading it to the forum, but no amount of altering it would allow it. Though it is under the size, it is still rejected. The link to Imgur also also fails to show up, but you can follow the link.
Re: Moving from Cura...help?
February 04, 2020 03:25AM
Image link is not to image but to a web page....

you need i.imgur.com/cAMBd6M.jpg

Cura hides lots of details from the user, but If you examine the .gcode file it should have put a list of setting used in the file.
Slic3r does the same thing

So then it just becomes a old did this, whats the equivalent in the new...
Once you have it the same, you can start tweaking to make it better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2020 03:26AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login