Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Greater layer hights 5mm <

Posted by DorisBoris 
Greater layer hights 5mm <
November 04, 2021 11:41AM
Hey,

I am having concrete printing project and therefore need for higher 5 mm < layer thcknesses. I haven't been able to increase layer thickness in slic3r above 1 mm.

Is it possible to have higger thicknesses and how?

Thanks for your answers!
Re: Greater layer hights 5mm <
July 15, 2022 08:01AM
Hi there,
The same thing has been bothering me as well. Any solution to that question?
I know that due to achieve greater layer heights you would need to increase the nozzle diameter. However it doesnt seem to be working for me in RoboDK :/
July 15, 2022 02:11PM
Hey Musztard!

I'm a bit surprised to find notification about your reply from my email after quite a while smiling smiley

I didn't find any means to use Slic3r for this purpose and I'm also using RoboDK by the way.

I ended up trying slicerxl, which is a free browser based slicer for this purpose. But it is quite limited to really simple shapes.

For more complex shapes I managed somehow with Ultimaker Cura Software.

After some research I found out that almost everybody in this field are using Rhino software with Crasshopper plugin and its parametrical features.

Since that, my project has been stalled so no deeper understanding found. But if you are interested in these slicerxl/ultimaker cura, I could try to remember what I did back there.

Please let me know if you find out something new and it would be interesting to hear about your project as well!
VDX
July 15, 2022 03:56PM
... maybe you can make a "trick" by slicing a part, 10-fold smaller with 0,5mm layer thickness ... then multiply all coordinates by 10x smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 01, 2022 11:02AM
Hi,
Thank you for the replay.
I ended up using rhino and grasshopper (to extract curves) since Slic3r couldn't meet my needs in the project. I had failed in my first simulation but luckily i found out what the mistake was.
In a week i will be running another tests with my robot and RoboDK, so i can let you know about the results if anybody will still be interested.
September 01, 2022 03:34PM
VDX
... maybe you can make a "trick" by slicing a part, 10-fold smaller with 0,5mm layer thickness ... then multiply all coordinates by 10x smoking smiley

Thanks for the tip! Might even try this some time. Sound a bit too hustling though smiling smiley
September 01, 2022 03:37PM
musztard
Hi,
Thank you for the replay.
I ended up using rhino and grasshopper (to extract curves) since Slic3r couldn't meet my needs in the project. I had failed in my first simulation but luckily i found out what the mistake was.
In a week i will be running another tests with my robot and RoboDK, so i can let you know about the results if anybody will still be interested.

Nice to hear!

Yes, it would be really interesting to hear more about your tests, setup etc!

How convenient have you found the use of rhino+crasshopper? Easy to learn and get along?
September 02, 2022 02:56AM
The grasshopper is real fun and intuitive to work with smiling smiley However Rhino, since it is more of a surface modelling software it is a bit different to programs like Fusion and is still causing me troubles.
Check out GH plugins like Mamba or Droid because they may come really usefull in your projects.
I sent a message to RoboDK concerning the issue of layer height, so it will be interesting to hear what they say.

I checked out SlicerXL and it is real fun smiling smiley Also it is possible to upload your custom shapes into it right now. Could you give me a hint on how to use the cooridantes to come up with gCode?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2022 02:58AM by musztard.
September 09, 2022 02:18PM
A solution to this can be found in a book called "Advanced 3D printing with grasshopper" (highly recommend to buy it). You basically copy the XYZ coordinates into a panel, deconstruct it, add functions like G1, F, XYZ and the concatenate the data. The output is a panel with gCode in it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login