Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier Host Wish List

Posted by nb99 
Repetier Host Wish List
January 15, 2012 04:24AM
A LIST OF THINGS THAT WOULD BE "Nice To Have" - to make a great little s/w suite even better.
( Please put bug reports in a separate thread, as they tend to cause multiple messages unrelated to a wish-list )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While working through the initial setup/calibration of my prusa with repetier host & firmware, I've run into a few issues, which would be "nice to have" :

These are in Manual Control:

- Extrude length and speed.
It would be good to have separate settings for the forward and reverse extrusion.
If an extruder/hot-end combination ends up taking several tries to get calibrated, it's a real pain to be setting 100mm forwards, then dropping it to 3mm reverse, then forward again etc etc
(I actually find direct numeric entry like the temperature much less fiddly than using the length and speed sliders - maybe have both)

- "Stop stepper after inactivity timeout"
Took me a while to understand why 100mm Z moves were stopping prematurely. It was the default inactivity timeout of 10 secs.
Either it should not stop stepping before it has completed a requested task, (it's not "inactive !) or it should display a warning that it has stopped stepping before the requested distance for that reason.

( Yes - one can set the inactivity time greater than any likely stepper run-time, but it seems contradictory for it to stop "inactive" before it has completed a requested task.)

- The displayed X/Y/Z positions do not reflect what actually happens if stepping is stopped for any reason.
If you request a 100mm move, it appears to add 100mm to the current position, display that, then not correct it if the move does not complete.
I have observed this caused by the above inactivity timeout, and also if the "Printer Shape" dimensions are exceeded.
Where this became dangerous for me was while initially fine-tuning my Z home position, it was displaying 110mm above the bed, but it physically wasn't, and when I requested a -100mm move only a dive for the ATX power switch stopped an extruder-to-bed crash.
(and - yes - it was properly homed to initialise the X/Y/Z counters )

- "Stop Motor" does not stop the extruder.
when a filament jam caused the stepper to start "knocking" - Stop Motor didn't work, again a dive for the ATX switch.
I can't think of a reason for limiting Stop Motor to X/Y/Z ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 08:34PM by nb99.
Re: Repetier Host Wish List
January 16, 2012 05:10AM
nb99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> These are in Manual Control:
>
> - Extrude length and speed.
> It would be good to have separate settings for
> the forward and reverse extrusion.
> If an extruder/hot-end combination ends up taking
> several tries to get calibrated, it's a real pain
> to be setting 100mm forwards, then dropping it to
> 3mm reverse, then forward again etc etc
> (I actually find direct numeric entry like the
> temperature much less fiddly than using the length
> and speed sliders - maybe have both)

I'll think about it. At least a textfield would be more flexible and I could omit reverse as negative directions are reverse.

>
> - "Stop stepper after inactivity timeout"
> Took me a while to understand why 100mm Z moves
> were stopping prematurely. It was the default
> inactivity timeout of 10 secs.
> Either it should not stop stepping before it has
> completed a requested task, (it's not "inactive !)
> or it should display a warning that it has
> stopped stepping before the requested distance for
> that reason.
>

That comes from the time before I had the move planner. I need to update this, just diddn't think of this.

> - The displayed X/Y/Z positions do not reflect
> what actually happens if stepping is stopped for
> any reason.
> If you request a 100mm move, it appears to add
> 100mm to the current position, display that, then
> not correct it if the move does not complete.
> I have observed this caused by the above
> inactivity timeout, and also if the "Printer
> Shape" dimensions are exceeded.
> Where this became dangerous for me was while
> initially fine-tuning my Z home position, it was
> displaying 110mm above the bed, but it physically
> wasn't, and when I requested a -100mm move only a
> dive for the ATX power switch stopped an
> extruder-to-bed crash.
> (and - yes - it was properly homed to initialise
> the X/Y/Z counters )

What you see is the assumed position depending on the commands send. No firmware send the current positions back as needed for display. They are only valid after you did homing. And yes, if you hit a endstop it is not detected by the host so it will assume the full move is executed, Only after a home the coordinates are reset.
I could color the output in red if the output should not be trusted, e.g. no homing had occured or a command exceeded the known bed size.

>
> - "Stop Motor" does not stop the extruder.
> when a filament jam caused the stepper to start
> "knocking" - Stop Motor didn't work, again a dive
> for the ATX switch.
> I can't think of a reason for limiting Stop Motor
> to X/Y/Z ?

Again, you are right. Off is off. Will add that for the next update.

If you see more wrong bahaviours, just tell. Most errors are just unkown to me. I will happyly remove any error I know about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 05:12AM by repetier.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 16, 2012 05:27AM
Hi,

To add to the wish/problems list:

- Editing EEPROM settings is not working consistently - it crashes the host sometimes. I can replicate by opening the EEPROM editor, changing a value (for example esteps) then hitting OK to apply. If after this point I try to open the EEPROM editor again the host crashes.

- If I startup with my machine unhomed it is sometimes not possible to home it, it happens that one of the axises stops just before hitting the min endstop (This could be a problem with my machine though)

- It would be nice if the filament width and height used by the OpenGL renderer in the host to display the part would be taken from the Slic3r/skeinforge settings so you have an accurate output

That's all I can think off right now ...

Cheers!
January 16, 2012 12:50PM
TinHead Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To add to the wish/problems list:
>
> - Editing EEPROM settings is not working
> consistently - it crashes the host sometimes. I
> can replicate by opening the EEPROM editor,
> changing a value (for example esteps) then hitting
> OK to apply. If after this point I try to open the
> EEPROM editor again the host crashes.
>

I tried to produce the error, but failed. Which os and baudrate are you using?
When you said you can reproduce it, did you mean every time or only ever x times? I tried at least 30 times without crashing using your description.

> - If I startup with my machine unhomed it is
> sometimes not possible to home it, it happens that
> one of the axises stops just before hitting the
> min endstop (This could be a problem with my
> machine though)

Homing goes 150% of the entered dimension (configuration.h) in direction of endstop. So if you have set the printer dimension correct in the configuration.h that shouldn't happen. If it always stops near the endstop it sounds more like a wrong signal to the endstop. Have you laid your endstop cable in parallel to the stepper cable? Could be cross talk together with the shadow of the stop flag.

>
> - It would be nice if the filament width and
> height used by the OpenGL renderer in the host to
> display the part would be taken from the
> Slic3r/skeinforge settings so you have an accurate
> output

That's a difficult one. How do I know with which settings a code was produced or with which slicer?
I have a solution that is nearly as good, but has an error in the current implementation. It will be working in the next.
So in the next version you can set width over thickness in 3d settings and select "Filament diameter". This uses the filament width calculation from skeinforge and the extruder movement to compute the height and width. This was originally written to show the half height perimeter of skeinforge correctly but should do the job for this as well.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
January 16, 2012 02:59PM
Hi,

The EEPROM issue replicates for me doing the following:

- start the host
- connect
- open config -> Firmware EEPROM settings
- change the "Extr. steps per mm " value
- press ok
- change get's sent to the printer (I can see the command go)
- open config -> Firmware EEPROM settings
- window pops up but only frame is visible then the host closes

My setup is on funtoo Linux, on amd64 architecture, mono -V output below:
----
Mono JIT compiler version 2.10.6 (tarball Thu Dec 1 13:26:45 EET 2011)
Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc, Xamarin, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: altstack
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: amd64
Disabled: none
Misc: debugger softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.dd
GC: Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)
----
I'm using 115200 baud, autodetect protocol. Same happens on 57600.
The host is the latest release.

Regarding homing I'm positive it's a machine problem ... I thought I got that fixed :/

Regarding filament rendering well I thought you could just use the height you put in the Slic3r config and if no ratio is specified just set it to 2 or so.
January 16, 2012 03:23PM
TinHead Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The EEPROM issue replicates for me doing the
> following:
>
> - start the host
> - connect
> - open config -> Firmware EEPROM settings
> - change the "Extr. steps per mm " value
> - press ok
> - change get's sent to the printer (I can see the
> command go)
> - open config -> Firmware EEPROM settings
> - window pops up but only frame is visible then
> the host closes
>
> My setup is on funtoo Linux, on amd64
> architecture, mono -V output below:
> ----
> Mono JIT compiler version 2.10.6 (tarball Thu Dec
> 1 13:26:45 EET 2011)
> Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc, Xamarin, Inc
> and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
> TLS: __thread
> SIGSEGV: altstack
> Notifications: epoll
> Architecture: amd64
> Disabled: none
> Misc: debugger softdebug
> LLVM: supported, not enabled.dd
> GC: Included Boehm (with typed GC and
> Parallel Mark)
> ----
> I'm using 115200 baud, autodetect protocol. Same
> happens on 57600.
> The host is the latest release.

Thanks. With my debian linux I can reproduce the error, too. Looks like a small difference between .Net and Mono which causes this. Hope I find a simple solution for this.

January 16, 2012 08:58PM
More low-priority wishes

- alternate the colour of each successive layer on the progressive 3D display, it can be quite hard to see where the displayed build has got to within one layer - especially when using a small notebook to drive the reprap from.
I've just finally printed my first cube, and during the time it was printing horrible messes because of extruder height/temperature/gearing problems, it was handy but tricky to see on the host 3D display what it should have been printing.

- the ability to do a "Host-dry-run" (no firmware attached) , with a pause (and speed control). While debugging G-code (and just working through it to understand it better) and away from home and the printer, one can still run repetier-host and could use the progressive 3D build display.
I assume it would just need a flag to say "don't send this G-command to the firmware, just pause N millisecs and return an OK result"

- a long-term wish - a bed-height mapping procedure (inspired by nophead) , taking one bit from a uswitch on a Z-probe, maybe as simple as just warning where the hot-tip to bed clearance varies by more than a settable amount from a settable clearance. But mainly detecting if the clearance has become low or negative. On my sprung bed, it seems can alter a tiny bit after digging a well-stuck print off the bed.

Of course the long-long-term wish would be for the automated remapping of Z-coordinates based on the measured bed plane - again as inspired by nophead.
January 17, 2012 03:36AM
nb99 Wrote:
> More low-priority wishes
>
> - alternate the colour of each successive layer
> on the progressive 3D display, it can be quite
> hard to see where the displayed build has got to
> within one layer - especially when using a small
> notebook to drive the reprap from.

I could make it an option, because it increases the memory usage and could hence slow down visualization.

> I've just finally printed my first cube, and
> during the time it was printing horrible messes
> because of extruder height/temperature/gearing
> problems, it was handy but tricky to see on the
> host 3D display what it should have been
> printing.

Check if you have VBOs possible (see log at start) and check your framerate during print. If the framerate gets too low the host reduces the lines send which can produce blobs. With VBOs the view is updates 10 times per second, so havin 20 frames or more should leave enough time to send the commands. Without VBOs the update reduces to 5 times per second, because drowing is slower.

>
> - the ability to do a "Host-dry-run" (no firmware
> attached) , with a pause (and speed control).
> While debugging G-code (and just working through
> it to understand it better) and away from home and
> the printer, one can still run repetier-host and
> could use the progressive 3D build display.
> I assume it would just need a flag to say "don't
> send this G-command to the firmware, just pause N
> millisecs and return an OK result"

For testing purposes I wished that too. So in some time it will be included. Until then you can do the same trick with Reoetier-Firmware. JUst send after connect
M111 S20
Then the firmware only ackknowledges received lines but does not execute them. Thats what I do to test the host features.

>
> - a long-term wish - a bed-height mapping
> procedure (inspired by nophead) , taking one bit
> from a uswitch on a Z-probe, maybe as simple as
> just warning where the hot-tip to bed clearance
> varies by more than a settable amount from a
> settable clearance. But mainly detecting if the
> clearance has become low or negative. On my
> sprung bed, it seems can alter a tiny bit after
> digging a well-stuck print off the bed.
>
> Of course the long-long-term wish would be for the
> automated remapping of Z-coordinates based on the
> measured bed plane - again as inspired by
> nophead.

I think I know what you mean.Would require an additional sensor. Do you have a link to nopheads proposal?

With remapping do you mean to change the G1 commands in a way that z-changes are added based on measured plane height?

January 17, 2012 04:09AM
I remap all the coordinates, not just Z: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 17, 2012 06:24AM
I should clarify: my "horrible messes / blobs" were nothing to do with the repetier software - I improved them by addressing assorted hardware issues... (some way to go yet)

As nophead points out, the remapping thing is non-trivial - thus definitely a long-term "wish" and not an urgent requirement...
January 23, 2012 10:52PM
M112 : Emergency Stop

If the hot-end is crunching into a part, the normal Stop Run may take some seconds before stopping.

A stop that was detected as soon as it arrives in the comm buffer rather than when its turn came up in the queue would be good.
January 24, 2012 05:34AM
nb99 Wrote:
> M112 : Emergency Stop
>
> If the hot-end is crunching into a part, the
> normal Stop Run may take some seconds before
> stopping.
>
> A stop that was detected as soon as it arrives in
> the comm buffer rather than when its turn came up
> in the queue would be good.

Yes that makes sense. Would need a button in Host to send it fast. Probably even in the toolbar so you can reach it everytime. But what could I du to prevent false aborts by acidentially hitting the button. My first idea is:
- double click = Stop
- single click opens message with hint to doubleclick and abort button.

Has anyone a better idea to prevent false clicks and still enable fast action?

January 24, 2012 06:05AM
Would it be any different to the existing "Kill Job" button - have you had any complaints of people accidentally clicking that ?
Kill Job still inexorably kills your job, just more slowly...
January 24, 2012 07:13AM
Hi,

Repetier: I don't think false clicks would be such a problem ... I mean if the button would be clearly marked and separated a bit from the "normal" buttons people won't accidentally click it ... right?
January 24, 2012 11:28AM
nb99 Wrote:
> Would it be any different to the existing "Kill
> Job" button - have you had any complaints of
> people accidentally clicking that ?
> Kill Job still inexorably kills your job, just
> more slowly...

The difference is the M112 command. After a M112 the firmware will freeze to protect itself from further incoming commands while Kill job just prematurely ends the job.

But the risk is the same. I will place it on the right status bar at the bottom on red. That should prevent from accidentially clicking it.

January 24, 2012 03:07PM
Cool - great turn-around time smiling smiley

Now - "Pause" & "Continue" : last night I was working on a problem with my Z posiitions - error seems to vary depending on the complexity of moves between Z-steps. (Calibration looks ok when using Manual Control Z moves )

So it would be great to be able to run a Print, and hit a Pause button at various times so I can use the calipers to measure extruder elevation, then click "Continue" to move until I get to the next point to pause again and measure.

I realised that also people need a way to change filament, etc etc
so as well as a manual Pause button,
one could add the Pause Gcode to one's print file at the right place, and then the manual action (like filament change) could be carried out, and then click Continue.
January 24, 2012 03:40PM
Now - this really is a "wish" - obviously up to you if you thinks it's worth the effort.

"List of Pre-defined manual Gcode strings - accessible via a drop-down in Manual Control"
I find I am using a lot of small combinations of actions. The manual control panel is real easy to use (and getting better all the time smiling smiley ),
but sometimes you want to for example move to a particular spot, and it can take several "nudges" to get the required combination of 1/10.100 mm

For example levelling the bed, I move to the 4 corners of a small central area, and measure clearance at each one.
I could enter the exact" G1X Y" move in the Manual Gcode send, but you have to re-enter them each time - it doesn't "remember" prior entries.

How about this:
a text INI file, that the user can load with lines like

"Move Corner 1" G1 X92 Y92 Z0.10 F6000
"Move Corner 2'" G1 X112 Y92 Z0.10 F6000
"Dump at front'" G1 X100 Y0. Z30 F6000 : G92 E0 : G1 E30
"full level" G1 X92 Y92 Z0.10 F6000 : Mppp : G1 X112 Y92 : Mppp : G1 X112 Y112 : Mppp : G1 X92 Y112
etc etc
( Assumes host will parse out multiple gcodes using separator like ":" and send appropriately to f/w.
Mppp would be the "Pause" gcode if implemented. )

The current manual gcode entry box becomes a combo box, normally showing blank at the top for ad-hoc manual entries as now,
but clicking the drop-down shows the above lines, allows selecting one of the lines, which gets displayed in the edit area at top of combo, ready to click Send.
January 24, 2012 03:42PM
nb99 Wrote:

> I realised that also people need a way to change
> filament, etc etc
> so as well as a manual Pause button,
> one could add the Pause Gcode to one's print file
> at the right place, and then the manual action
> (like filament change) could be carried out, and
> then click Continue.

You are lagging behind. That is already implemented in the host. Just check the docs

https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host/wiki/Host-Commands

Just add the
@pause Some text
in your g-code and the host will pause with a message at that point.

January 24, 2012 05:55PM
Doh - RTFM - right

Still - one day it would be nice to have a button or menu command for ad-hoc pause.
January 25, 2012 03:57AM
nb99 Wrote:
> Doh - RTFM - right
>
> Still - one day it would be nice to have a button
> or menu command for ad-hoc pause.

You mean the Run job button, which becomes the pause button as long as a job is running?

BTW: Your idea with some stored command lists is good. Till I implement this: The send button has a history function for the current session. Just use cursor up/down to navigate through past commands send.

January 25, 2012 06:30AM
>>You mean the Run job button, which becomes the pause button

hehe - another "Doh" - I've obviously had too many late nights trying to get my first good Cube - eyes are glazing over and I'm missing the obvious..

But - tonight I've just finally printed my first cube that is actually cubic - yay !! smileys with beer

( last night it was adding a wee fan on the hot-end to stop PLA jamming, tonight I fixed a Z problem - too much current - pololus "hiccuping", and finally my cube measures 10mm in all axes - and doesn't look like a melted mutant )

Thanks for your easy-to-install-&-run s/w - and the fast responses thumbs up
January 25, 2012 07:38AM
At the beginning I also had PLA jamming. Lowering the temperature stopped that for me. Just try 10° less. With PLA, temperature is not very critical unless it's to hot und flows too much back to jam:-)

January 29, 2012 07:05PM
Another low priority wish,
any chance of combining the visualisation "Rotate" and "Move Viewpoint" like OpenSCAD, left mouse button for rotate, right button for pan.
Seems a shame to have to keep reselecting modes while the RMB is unused.

(Also - what is chosen as the "centre of rotation" - it does not appear to be the center-of-mass (maybe that should be "center-of-volume"),
so for small objects at high zoom, rotate just zips them out of view instead of rotating in the viewed window)

I use my desktop PC to design, and one copy of Repetier-Host on that to visualise - I then only send the jobs to the little mini-notebook that drives the Prusa with another Repetier-Host when I'm happy with the initial view of the design.

So it's really handy to be able to preview the filament lay-down visualisation using the virtual printer on the desktop PC, catch layout oversights before using plastic.
What will be even better will be being able to Pause the "Virtual print" at any layer, which should be possible once you get the virtual speed able to be slowed way down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 07:11PM by nb99.
January 30, 2012 03:03AM
Hi,

you can do everything in the default mode.
Left button rotate (rotates around the center of printbed)
Middle button - Move view point
Right button - select/drag object in editor

In the long term I want a layer selector for visualization. But thats mutch work and has to wait until the mac version is ready.

January 30, 2012 03:47AM
Cool - thanks
September 17, 2012 04:46PM
the ability to define negative bed sizes. Rostock printers are easier to set up with negative as well as positive bed values
September 18, 2012 03:15AM
The code for negative coordinates is already written and will be included in the next release.

September 24, 2012 09:38AM
I am just finally getting my machine to repeatably spit plastic, now in to calibration/tune mode. The next thing on my list is to try repetier. (I don't know if the laptop I am running the system off of has the graphics capability.) In reviewing the software I downloaded on my desktop, I did notice one thing. I have been using sprinter and Pronterface, Sprinter has the capability of splitting a group of parts up in an stl, and permitting subtraction or addition one sub component at a time. It would be on my wish list to be able to split apart groups into sub groups in the repetier screen like sprinter does.
September 24, 2012 12:49PM
Sorry, but I wished I knew what you are talking about. Sprinter can't even handle STL files, only G-Code.

In pronterface you can arrange several STL files on the plate, but that is something Repetier-Host does since it exists. I think you mean something different, just can't tell exactly what.

September 24, 2012 01:03PM
sorry, brain dead. I meant Slic3r. Slic3r can split an stl made up of separate items into component parts, and multiply or subtract those component parts. Since Repetier can use Slic3r as the slicing mechanism, and use pull down menus to slice per an established set of criteria, (Nice touch) I thought it would be nice if you could split a STL file like slic3r does from the repetier interface
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login