Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temperature monitor Y-scale

Posted by nb99 
Temperature monitor Y-scale
February 04, 2012 05:38PM
Trying to diagnose a thermistor signal noise problem - temperature monitor/graph very useful,
but how about an option to expand the Y scale on the temperature reading.
When there's only a few degrees variation going on, it's hard to have one's head in the printer and squinting across at the PC screen to try and see the tiny variations in the (very thin) red line, especially as it is common to use a little old laptop (small screen) to drive the printer.

easy version - option to show 150 deg and above (plus a 'reset to default' of course.
more coding - allow entering offset.
Re: Temperature monitor Y-scale
February 04, 2012 06:05PM
I'm not fully satisfied with the current temperature monitor. Until version 1 it will go through a complete rewrite. I'm thinking of the following features for the next generation of the monitor:
- Works with M105 results and Repetier temp. monitor feature. So all firmwares can profit of the monitor.
- Shows exactly one hour of date. X axis will be the real time in minutes/seconds from the log.
- Scale X axis to intervals of 5, 10, 15, 30, 60 minutes (perhaps some more steps, have to see)
- Autoscale Y, or like you suggested selectable temp. range.
- Show Extruder and heated bed if using M105.
- Monitor is always on. You can even mix M105 results and continuous temp. monitor.

With the new mac version i parted the main window into two sides.
- Left: 3d view or temperature
- Right: Object placement, Editor, Manual control.

I like this division and think I will adopt it after i have finished the mac version.

Any more suggestions for the monitor, that could be nice to have?

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
February 04, 2012 07:57PM
I like the idea of integration into the main window - at the moment I have both windows shrunk to 1/2 width to see & get at both..

>>Shows exactly one hour of date
As a default good, but while testing a thermistor related problem, need option for a more visible X scale, maybe 10 minutes or even 5.

Related - in the log window at the bottom of the main screen, it's useful at times to observe the codes going out, but they get swamped by M105s. An option to not display M105s in the log area would be good.
( I know could slow down temperature readings, but then I'd have to put them up again later .. )
February 05, 2012 03:49AM
nb99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the idea of integration into the main
> window - at the moment I have both windows shrunk
> to 1/2 width to see & get at both..

I attached a photo how it looks in the mac version.

> >>Shows exactly one hour of date
> As a default good, but while testing a
> thermistor related problem, need option for a more
> visible X scale, maybe 10 minutes or even 5.

Thats what I meant with zoom. I always store a complete hour and you can select a timespan to view from 1 hour downto 5 minutes.

>
> Related - in the log window at the bottom of the
> main screen, it's useful at times to observe the
> codes going out, but they get swamped by M105s. An
> option to not display M105s in the log area would
> be good.
> ( I know could slow down temperature readings, but
> then I'd have to put them up again later .. )

That is a really good idea. I hate these M105 while debugging. I will make a selector in the repetier settings.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Attachments:
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-05 um 09.35.37.png (96.6 KB)
February 05, 2012 05:59AM
>>Scale X axis to intervals of 5, 10, 15, 30, 60 minutes

OK - for some reason I took that as meaning e.g. 5 minutes for each X "step / interval", as opposed to 5 minutes for the whole X width.
The whole timespan makes more sense - obvious now.

I suspect that's plenty of time options -
although I guess if you left a print overnight and found a problem several hours later, would be handy to view maybe a selection of "entire current print" (which could be multi hours) - and then select a point and expand to one of the 5-60 minute options.
February 05, 2012 06:10AM
Just did a few calclulation. Each temp. reading takes 40 bytes + storage overhead so lets say 52 bytes in total. With a 1 second reading you neen 187200 byte per hour. For 24 hours thar are 4.5 MB. Shouldn't be a problem with modern computers. So I can make a configuration option store last x hours, which are stored in a seperate array. Then you can select what to see:
- Last 60 Minutes which is a continuous flow
- Select one of the stored hours.
That would be just a selector for the time and I could keep the small 1 hour frame for fast visualization.

I'm currently writing this for the mac as it has no temp. visualization so far. Will post the result when i finished. If you have no more such good suggestions I will copy that to the windows/linux version.

February 05, 2012 05:28PM
>>more such good suggestions

OK - you asked for it smiling smiley

I sometimes find the fine red line of the graph a little hard to see - how about having a colour selector section like in the 3D settings, and the ability to set the line a little thicker.

And possibly if say the temp line was one colour, and temp crossed an upper or lower threshold from the current target temp (selectable, maybe 3 to 5 degrees up or down) , then the graph changed colour

Because new temp readings come in from the right side of the graph, so that's where you are mostly looking at, I'd prefer the scale of temps to be written down that side. (or both I guess )

With something I'm chasing at the moment, "flickering" thermistor readings, it would be handy to have an "average" or "smoothed" value over the last maybe 1 minute - either as a digital value, or maybe an optional second trace.

That's all I can think of right now - if any more inspiration strikes I'll post
February 05, 2012 05:46PM
nb99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>more such good suggestions
>
> OK - you asked for it smiling smiley
>
> I sometimes find the fine red line of the
> graph a little hard to see - how about having a
> colour selector section like in the 3D settings,
> and the ability to set the line a little thicker.

I want to add color selectors for all colors in the host. I have attached a screenshot of the latest iteration so far. You see I made the lines thicker, added a average value and target value.
Bed and Extruder can be shown at the same time.

>
> And possibly if say the temp line was one colour,
> and temp crossed an upper or lower threshold from
> the current target temp (selectable, maybe 3 to 5
> degrees up or down) , then the graph changed
> colour

Not sure about that. Will see.

> Because new temp readings come in from the right
> side of the graph, so that's where you are mostly
> looking at, I'd prefer the scale of temps to be
> written down that side. (or both I guess )

Ok, I add the right side. Makes sense.
>
> With something I'm chasing at the moment,
> "flickering" thermistor readings, it would be
> handy to have an "average" or "smoothed" value
> over the last maybe 1 minute - either as a digital
> value, or maybe an optional second trace.

Included.

Attachments:
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-05 um 23.36.23.png (48.2 KB)
February 05, 2012 06:20PM
Looking good...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login