Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OutOfMemoryException with large print...

Posted by ryan_prof 
OutOfMemoryException with large print...
February 23, 2012 09:21AM
Hi,

trying to print the z-leadscrewbase of a mendel but always get a outofmemory exception when clicking run job.
I've tried different stl-versions of the z-leadscrewbase from thingiverse but they all result in the same error.
Smaller prints print perfectly without any problems
My specs are:

dual core 2.3GHZ
3.5GB of ram
2x500 GB of diskspace

Am using host version 0.35 and firmware version 0.45

and have still 2GB of available memory according to task-manager..

so this should not happen...

here is the link to my gcode: z-leadscrew-base.gcode

This gcode is configured for 0.15 layer height and 0.25 nozzle width and 1.66 filament width

please help
Attachments:
open | download - outofmemoryexception.txt (4.1 KB)
open | download - outofmemory.JPG (44.6 KB)
open | download - z-leadscrew-base.stl (227 KB)
Re: OutOfMemoryException with large print...
February 23, 2012 12:28PM
You just showed the weak point of all the comfort. It uses quite some ram, which is your problem. If you want to print such large objects ( I countet over 1.1 Million lines!) you have to reduce the ram usage of the Host. With the following trick I could reduce usage to < 1GB ram and could print the file.

1. Go to G-Code tab.
2. Disable the G-Code preview (little eye in the editor toolbar, not the big eye for show/hide filament)
3. Now load your file and continue
4. Depending on your graphiccard you may reduce the display quality of the filaments.

The preview in the editor uses quite some ram as it needs a copy of the text and build a new model in the backgrund.

When I get some time, I will investigate if there is a way to reduce memory usage in total, like outsourcing the print job to disk until needed or detecting large objects and disable preview automatically. Still better then a bad surprise.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
February 23, 2012 09:39PM
thx for the explanation as to why...

I guess I dont really have to print everything with such fine detail but it's just so fantastic to create such smooth objects.
its kinda addictive. Even If I have to wait more than 2 hours to slice it!!smoking smiley

Now that I know how to tackle the problem I can begin printing complete sets of objects (I hope).

Going to try it tomorrow, will let you know how it turned out.

cheers..smileys with beer
February 24, 2012 02:53AM
> Now that I know how to tackle the problem I can
> begin printing complete sets of objects (I hope).

Sets? The trick reduces the memory usage a good amount, but I wouldn't try multiple objects of that size at once, otherwise you get again an out of memory.
>
> Going to try it tomorrow, will let you know how it
> turned out.

You can test, if the host can handle your object with the virtual printer. Just create a new printer definition, select as port virtual printer. Select highest baudrate and 5000 byte for incoming queue size. With these settings you can simulate your print quite quickly (compared to your printer). I that works you should have no host related problem with printing, as the real print is much slower and leaves more time to update drawings.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login