Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end won't heat above 170

Posted by gregted 
Hot end won't heat above 170
April 28, 2012 12:43PM
Got my reprap together and trying to get the hotend to heat up but it won't go above 170. Temp in pronterface is set to 230 for abs.

I'm using the one in the pic attached and running Pronterface. My electronics is Sanguinololu 1.3 and power is 500 watt computer supply. Everything else is working fine.
Attachments:
open | download - hotend.JPG (12.8 KB)
Re: Hot end won't heat above 170
April 28, 2012 01:06PM
Your computer supply doesn't really matter. What matters is the output send to your heating resistor. You can watch this with Repetier-Host. If you don't reach the target temperature there may be different reasons:

1. You didn't allow the heater to run with full power. Check these settings

/** \brief The maximum value, I-gain can contribute to the output.

A good value is slightly higher then the output needed for your temperature.
Values for starts:
130 => PLA for temperatures from 170-180°C
180 => ABS for temperatures around 240°C

The precise values may differ for different nozzle/resistor combination.
Overridden if EEPROM activated.
*/
#define EXT0_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 130
// maximum time the heater is can be switched on. Max = 255. Overridden if EEPROM activated.
#define EXT0_PID_MAX 255

If you have eeprom enabled you need to change the values in eeprom not configuration.h. The host has a special form for this to help you.

2. Your resistor doesn't generate enough heat for higher temperatures. Check the output in Repetier-Host. If it is at 100% all the time and doesn't get higher as 170 this is your problem. If power is reduced to some lower value the settings above mentioned are to low.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
June 25, 2012 09:57PM
2. Your resistor doesn't generate enough heat for higher temperatures. Check the output in Repetier-Host. If it is at 100% all the time and doesn't get higher as 170 this is your problem. If power is reduced to some lower value the settings above mentioned are to low.

I´m experiencing this problem, when i set a temp higher than 170 it heats to 170, lower than that temp works fine, the thing is that the first days it heated to 230 or whatever temp i set it to, everything was fine, did the MOSFETS burned out?
June 25, 2012 10:05PM
This is the graph of the hot end temperature (red) and the set temperature (purple), it doesnt get higher than 170
June 26, 2012 03:18AM
I don't think your mosfet is bouned out. As long as yoku can manage lower temperatures the mosfet and heater block are ok.
Unfortunetely I can't see your temperature curve for analysis on my iPad.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
June 27, 2012 02:02AM
make double sure that all your eprom values for PID are correct. This is especially important if you have ever had Marlin firmware on the same device. Some values might be tweaked.

Try starting with my values, and see where it gets you.

PID Drive max 255
PID Drive Min 50
PID P-Gain 500
PID I-Gain 1
PID D-Gain 3000
PID Max value 255
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login