Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Home-all X crash

Posted by nb99 
Home-all X crash
June 03, 2012 05:16AM
A flaw of the Mendell triangular frame design is that after a tall object print, an X-home causes the X carriage stepper to crash into the frame.

I have Repetier host + Repetier firmware, and a Home-All from the Host executes an X-home first.
If it did Z-home first, or even Y-home then Z-home before X-home (to clear anything on the bed before the Z-home) it would avoid this.

After any long print, I tend to naturally hit Home-All, and if it was a tall one, it's really annoying for the X-carriage stepper to bash itself continually against the frame like a trapped bird against a window until one dives for the reset button on the driver board.
Re: Home-all X crash
June 03, 2012 08:43AM
Just turn off the auto-home feature in Repetier and add it to your g-code. All the slicers allow you to add custom g-code at the start and the end.

It seems to me though that if you do a z-home right after a print that you'll smash your print.
June 03, 2012 04:54PM
After any long print, I tend to naturally hit Home-All
I should have put it " After any long print is complete and I have removed the part(s)"

From a high Z position - it takes quite a while for the threaded rod drive to get the head back down to zero, so I want to kick off the home action then, when I'm about to take those parts off and do cleanup or whatever, not have to wait for it at the start of the next print

Certainly don't want a Home-all (or Home-Z) built into the end of the G-code, some parts or plates cover most of the bed, any downward Z would be bad before removing them..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 04:58PM by nb99.
June 03, 2012 05:40PM
Homing Z first not really a good idea. Many beds are not that flat so the nozzle may scratch over the bed ripping of Kapton etc. when doing x-y- Home afterwards.

What is planned, but didn't make it into the last version is a limit Z-Height for home-x. So the Home all button will omit the x-home if z is higher then a preset value. I would also disable x-home if that height is reached.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
June 03, 2012 06:30PM
Cool - that would address the issue exactly...
June 04, 2012 12:25PM
nb99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I should have put it " After any long print is
> complete and I have removed the part(s)"

Ah.... sorry. I should have read more closely.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login