Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comunication problems between repetier and ramps 1.4 / Arduino mega 2560

Posted by Franzz.L 
Comunication problems between repetier and ramps 1.4 / Arduino mega 2560
June 21, 2014 12:23PM
Hi,
So I'm pretty much a newbie in the reprap world, except I had plans to build a prusa i3 for months and I have finnally finished my build. It's using an arduino mega2560 and a ramps 1.4.
I decided to use repetier because it seemed to be pretty complete, but I'm having some trouble making it work, I've started using this guide on the official website, i've managed to compile and send the firmware to my arduino (or I think I did, it compiled with no problems and said upload complete without reporting any errors)
But then I wanted to try to see if my motors could actually spin using repetier host, so I used the manual controls but it didn't work. I don't understand why, when I connected with my printer, it didn't report any errors. I think my wiring is correct, I've read if endstops are wired incorrectly it's possible for the motors to be able to spin in only one direction, but in my case the motors don't move in any direction. I should also mention that I tried using the M115 command like said in the guide, wich is supposed to answer me the name of the firmware I think, but I see nothing in the log, also I tried faking a real print by loading some gcode in repetier host and "starting a job" but it didn't do anything either.
I realy don't know what I'm doing wrong! I would very much appreciate some advice.
Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 04:28AM by Franzz.L.
Re: Comunication problems between repetier and ramps 1.6 / Arduino mega 2560
June 22, 2014 03:29AM
Hi,

This might seem basic, but what's happening in the status area at the bottom of repetier host? To see what's happening click the Toggle Log button (top menu icon) and set Commands /Warnings / Errors all on. (I've been using the new 1.0 interface, so the 0.97 commands might be slightly different)

This will give you an idea of whether the Arduino/RAMPS are actually talking to repetier host. The ardunio and repetier are quite chatty.

The other thing you could do is buy one of the LCD controllers from your favorite supplier. These provide a useful amount of status information directly from the Arduino.

Richard
Re: Comunication problems between repetier and ramps 1.6 / Arduino mega 2560
June 22, 2014 04:34AM
Hi,
Thank you for answering, wel that is one thing I find weird, there does not seem to be any messages other than repetier initialisation
Repetier
10:11:25.677 : OpenGL version:2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2622
10:11:25.678 : OpenGL extensions:GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract [...] GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
10:11:25.678 : OpenGL renderer:Intel(R) HD Graphics
10:11:25.689 : Using fast VBOs for rendering is possible

I have an LCD display but it does nothing when I plug it in since I still have the default configuration file (haven't started configuring yet, because I was wondering why I couldn't even move the motors)
Re: Comunication problems between repetier and ramps 1.4 / Arduino mega 2560
June 23, 2014 11:55AM
I found out what was the problem, the "baudrate" was not the same in repetier-host settings as in the configuration file. I changed it and was able to make motors moves !
It's exciting, now I just have to configure it properly and I will hopefully be able to print soon !
Re: Comunication problems between repetier and ramps 1.4 / Arduino mega 2560
June 24, 2014 09:08AM
Franzz,

Good news. Further adventures no doubt await!

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login