Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier Host V1.0.4 crashing USB 3.0 drivers

Posted by T_Wolf 
Repetier Host V1.0.4 crashing USB 3.0 drivers
September 15, 2014 02:33PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help with an issue that came up when I upgraded from 0.95f to 1.0.4. When I send the command to begin printing a sliced part, the printer will move into position and run for about 3 seconds before locking up and crashing all the USB 3.0 ports on my computer. Only a complete restart gets my USB's working again. Using manual control to heat the bed/nozzle, extrude, or move the printer does not cause any issues, it is only when using the "Print" function.

Additionaly, I tried running it from my laptop which still has V0.95f on it, and once more I have no issues, so I don't beleive it is an issue with the printer. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, as I really like the new interface of V1.0.4!

Thanks!
Re: Repetier Host V1.0.4 crashing USB 3.0 drivers
September 16, 2014 10:59AM
As a further question, does anyone know how to revert an install to V0.95f? I tried deleting the regestry entry and reinstalling the older version, but now neither one works.
September 17, 2014 12:30PM
The host only uses the official microsoft class for serial connections. It is the same as in 0.95f. There is no logic for any access to usb devices directly. So crashing all usb devices is most likely a electric/electronic cause cause by a high load. Good usb ports have a overcurrent check and disable the port if connected devices draw more then the allowed 500mA. From your description exactly this happened. I don't think it is the host to blame here. What I think is that some command send to your board while printing causes e.g. a short increasing current which disbaled your usb ports, also this does not fully explain why 0.95 works. Did you send the same file with 0.95f when it worked or did you reslice it with the slicer bundled with 0.95f? You can also test with 1.0.4 and tell the firmware to ignore all commands (M111 S24 if you are using repetier firmware). So the host does his thing as always and firmware only responds with ok without doing any action. If that works you know it is not the host directly but the action of the firmware taken for some commands. Then you should find out which combinations cause the problem and if it happens always at the same command.

The only incompatibility is that 1.0 converts some registry entries into a correct format (from string to integer) which makes problmes when downgrading to 0.95f. So removing the right registry entries should get 0.95 running, see
[www.repetier.com]

on how to find the key. If you deinstall 1.0.x over software manager in windows you also get a question if the registry should be deleted as well.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
September 17, 2014 06:28PM
Thanks for the information! I've been experimenting some already- it seems if I run the printer off my only USB 2.0 port, everything works just fine; I'm not sure if that's because my USB 2.0 ports don't check for excessive current draw or what. To answer your question, I did not send the same file. I had re-sliced the file using the new version of slicer in V1.0.4.

I like your suggestion of isolating the firmware commands, I will give that a shot and report back if I find any new clues. Thank you very much for your support!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login