Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disable temp check on a per-extruder basis

Posted by adavidm 
Disable temp check on a per-extruder basis
September 23, 2014 11:42AM
Hi,

I've designed and built a chocolate extruder for my printer, and have hit on a small snag.

I'm not using a heater at all, instead just putting warmed chocolate inside an insulated syringe. This should be enough for testing, if not I'll build a heated chamber. The problem I've got relates to thermistors. I don't have one on the 2nd (chocolate) extruder, so the printer won't start as the thermistor is missing. To get around this I assigned the same thermistor pin as the 1st(PLA) extruder. I can now print PLA as normal. However, I can't print chocolate without changing the minimum temperature setting in firmware, which risks damaging the PLA extruder due to cold extrudes.

As far as I can tell, I can't see an M302 code in repetier, so I can't just add that in the start-gcode as I would for Marlin. That said, I have a couple of options:

1) Keep the low temperature setting in repetier, and risk accidental cold extrusions.

2) Put a (10k?) resistor on a spare input and assign that to the thermistor for extruder 2, faking the temperature to a level where cold extrude on PLA is not an issue.

Is that about it? I don't mind number 2 except the LCD readout will always look a little odd with 150degree chocolate!

Is an M302 code likely to appear in repetier, it would probably be the simplest route. Either that or a per-extruder setting to define the temperature envelope, including disabling it.

thoughts?

adavidm
Re: Disable temp check on a per-extruder basis
September 23, 2014 01:46PM
I accept the reasons why it makes sense. For the next update of the work092 tree I have already added the following changes:

1. M302 S0 or 1 to set cold extrusion
2. Thermistor type 0 added, which means no thermistor. You then can not set temperatures and temp. reading is always 25°C. No need to add tricks.

Hope that will solve your problem.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: Disable temp check on a per-extruder basis
September 23, 2014 04:55PM
Wow!

That sounds perfect. Thanks for the incredible response.

adavidm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login