Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What matters mor for rendering and slicing?

Posted by Dreadnaught426 
What matters mor for rendering and slicing?
April 14, 2015 04:54PM
I did a quick search with nothing specific coming up so I thought I would ask here. What does Repetier Host and slic3r depend on most? Ram, GPU ,CPU or a combination? I slice big things on my PC for my stand alone printer and use a old laptop for small objects and my wired one.

Thanks, Adam.
Re: What matters mor for rendering and slicing?
April 15, 2015 04:13AM
GPU is used for viewing only. So when you disable gcode preview that is no speed problem for old laptop. If it is enabled bigger prints can slow down printing due to missing gpu power.

RAM should be always sufficient or you are in trouble. Use Repetier-Server to print and you have no memory problems here. It only needs around 4MB to print regardless of the gcode file size. Host can use for big gcodes considerable more ram then gcode file size. Also server does not depend on gpu, only the browser where you view/control the printer and even there much less then with host.

Slicing always uses cpu so cpu speed affects slicing duration. Ram must be of cours esufficion to hold stl files plus some data structures. The bigger you objects the more ram you need. Just watch task manager and see how ram useage is for your problems.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login