Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier - Mac - Connection issue

Posted by quantize 
Repetier - Mac - Connection issue
August 24, 2012 01:56AM
Hi folks,

First time on the forums, just finished assembling my rep-rap and trying to connect it to my Mac, running OS X 10.8.

When I open up 'Printer Settings', under the Port picker, I only see 3 options:

1) Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
2) Bluetooth-Modem
3) Virtual Printer

None of these seem to make sense as I am connected via USB to my Gen6 electronics board.

Any ideas on next steps?

P.S. Also not sure how to check what firmware I am running. Any tips?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 02:02AM by quantize.
Re: Repetier - Mac - Connection issue
August 24, 2012 10:16AM
You see all serial ports connected to your mac in that box. I guess you have powered the board and connected the usb:-) The gen6 works only if externally powered.
I needed to install the FTDI driver for mac to see the port.

When you connect successfully (hope you know the baudrate if you don't know the firmware at all) you see the firmware in the log at the bottom.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 24, 2012 04:51PM
I now installed the FTDI driver from FTDI, the VCP (Virtual COM Port) driver for Mac OS 64 bit.

In the printer settings, I now see a new option: usb-serial A500TAE0.

But when I click connect, it says "connection opened", but I can't interact with the printer. On the bottom of the Repetier aoo window, it says "Waiting for temperature" and "5 commands waiting".

Any ideas for this step?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 04:53PM by quantize.
August 24, 2012 06:07PM
The x commands waiting means, the firmware is not responding, also the ftdi did make a connection. In that state try the reset button on the board. If it doesn't return something meaningfull your baud rate is wrong. Disconnect, change the baud rate in printer setting and try again. If you don't know what is installed, it may also be possible you have no firmware at all installed. In this case check this: http://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-firmware/

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
August 24, 2012 06:36PM
Awesome, I've got it working. Thanks!
May 16, 2016 04:25PM
I was working with my printer when a power failure happened I can see my printer but every time I go to connect it says it cannot connect to the port
May 17, 2016 10:16AM
Make sure to use the cu port, not the tty version. Seems to make a difference. Also try a reboot but normally a power loss does not change any settings so it should keep working if you did not do something else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login