Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem With Slicing, Cuts Out Half Way

Posted by Lodorenos 
Problem With Slicing, Cuts Out Half Way
August 27, 2012 07:14AM
I don't have this problem at home on my laptop but at work I do, and I'm wondering what the fix could be.

About halfway through a slice on the office computer, Repetier will act like it's finished and show half sliced objects in the 3D view. I have attached an image of a few bar clamps to show what I mean.

I suspect that it's a problem with the hardware of the machines.

Machine that is causing this problem:

Windows 8 x64
4GB RAM
1.8Ghz Dual Core i5

Machine that never has this problem:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
16GB RAM
2.2Ghz Quad Core i7

I have tried changing the "Threads" option between 1 and 4, but the issue still persists. It only occurs on larger prints, such as the plate of bar clamps shown above. If I print a small number of parts, the issue doesn't occur.

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
Prusa Mendel I2, RAMPS 1.4, Marlin 1.0 R2, Pronterface, Slic3r
Attachments:
open | download - HalfSlice.PNG (125.6 KB)
VDX
Re: Problem With Slicing, Cuts Out Half Way
August 27, 2012 07:33AM
... look at the page "G-Code editor", the sub-page "Visualization" if you have checked "Show complet code" or "show layer range".

With "layer range" set from "First layer=0" to "Last layer=(half the lines)" it will behave identically ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 27, 2012 07:44AM
Thanks for your reply VDX. I checked those settings and they seem to be set correcly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 10:59AM by Lodorenos.

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
Prusa Mendel I2, RAMPS 1.4, Marlin 1.0 R2, Pronterface, Slic3r
Attachments:
open | download - Issue.PNG (47.2 KB)
August 27, 2012 10:36AM
A strange problem. Might be an issue with the OpenGL driver not having enough RAM. For high speed the host prefers to store the object data in video ram. So, is this only with many objects or also with one clamp, which needs less memory? In the 3d visualziation settings you could set filament visualization to simple, which requires less memory in ram. Or in the general tab change the acceleration method e.g. to array to see if you get the full preview.

What happens if you only show a single layer? Can you visualize the upper invisible part then?

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 27, 2012 01:07PM
Have you looked at the resulting g-code to see if the slicer is actually slicing the whole part, or is repeteir only showing half of the full g-code. This may rule out a visualization problem vs a slicing problem..

Devon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login