Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calling Slic3r from Repetier Host

Posted by Dizzee 
Calling Slic3r from Repetier Host
December 16, 2012 08:13AM
Hi,

I'm sure this is answered somewhere - I just can't seem to find it.

I'm running a Mac and have downloaded the latest versions of Host and Slic3r.

I'm just trying this combination for the first time - have been using Cura and Pronterface but I'd prefer something a little more integrated. I really like the look and feel of Repetier Host and I'd like to spend some time with it. I think it will do everything I want.

My immediate problem comes when I call Slic3r. It takes the input file and produces output but not with helpful names.

It produces files called tempobj.stl and tempobj.gcode which it places in my library folder.

I know there is a way of calling Slic3r such that it outputs .gcode in the directory where the source stl was selected from, I just can't track down the correct command to do this. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to configure this.

On a related note, I've just noticed a Slic3r.ini in my library directory too. Another exists in my application directory. When running Slic3r I'd like to ask, what is the preferred directory for this file and how can I guarantee the correct version is used ?

Hope someone has the time to guide me with these queries.

Kind Regards,

C
Re: Calling Slic3r from Repetier Host
December 16, 2012 11:54AM
First, the host always makes new gcode files in the Workdir ~/Library/Repetier simply to find the result. After slicing it is loaded into the g-code editor. There you can use the save button to store it under a name and at a location you want. Most users print objects only once and don't need this, so I decided to not bother them until they want to.

On my mac slic3r stores it's data in ~/Libraray/Application Support/Slic3r and its subdirectories. This is also the place where the host looks for safed config files.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
December 16, 2012 12:37PM
Hi.

Ok. Understood.Thankyou.

I'd still like to learn how to call Slic3r correctly from the command line. Maybe I need to ask that question in the Slic3r forum.

Thanks again,

C
December 18, 2012 05:31AM
As an experiment, I deleted the Slic3r.ini from the workdir and ran another slice operation from within Repetier. Repetier caused the creation of a new ini file in the workdir.

Can I ask what this is used for please ?

Also, if I copy the resulting gcode from a slice operation using finder and do not take this file, is that a problem ?

Kindest,

C
December 18, 2012 05:38AM
Dizzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As an experiment, I deleted the Slic3r.ini from
> the workdir and ran another slice operation from
> within Repetier. Repetier caused the creation of a
> new ini file in the workdir.
>
> Can I ask what this is used for please ?
I think Slic3r always creates a Slic3r.ini file. It saves the last used Filement/printer/print settings selected.
The real configuration is stored in the subdirectory ini files, which are also the one you see for selection in the host.
>
> Also, if I copy the resulting gcode from a slice
> operation using finder and do not take this file,
> is that a problem ?
I don't understand cleanly what you mean? The created gcode is exactly the one loaded into the host. In fact the host gives the destination file name to slic3r to ensure it find's it after slicing. Off course you can copy that. But what did you mean with "not take this file"? You can load gcodes directly with the load button, independ from any slicer you used.

>
> Kindest,
>
> C

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
December 18, 2012 06:11AM
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

It's interesting (but not important) that Slic3r creates an additional ini file in the workdir. The ini file in ~/Library/Application Support/Slic3r just contains the names of the currently selected print, filament and printer settings (and a couple of other things)

The ini file in ~/Library/Repetier appears to contain the data from all three of those files. (Like I said - interesting but probably not important smiling smiley)

With regard to my second question. I really just wanted to know if the gcode file was totally everything needed or if Host did something with the ini file whilst sending the data to the printer or sd card.

From what you've said, everything needed is in the gcode file. That's great, thank you.

Another question if I may ?

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't test this for myself.

I understand that sending files to an sd card IN the printer can be slow. Does host give the option - sorry, I've just answered my own question. Hitting the disk icon in Host invokes the standard apple file save dialogue.

Many thanks for your reply.

Regards,

C
December 18, 2012 12:16PM
Dizzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> It's interesting (but not important) that Slic3r
> creates an additional ini file in the workdir. The
> ini file in ~/Library/Application Support/Slic3r
> just contains the names of the currently selected
> print, filament and printer settings (and a couple
> of other things)
>
> The ini file in ~/Library/Repetier appears to
> contain the data from all three of those files.
> (Like I said - interesting but probably not
> important smiling smiley)
Ok, you were talking abount an other file then I did. This ini file is created by the host. I can only call Slic3r externally with one ini file (at least as far as I know). So the host combines the selected config files and makes one config file of it before calling the slic3r.

>
> With regard to my second question. I really just
> wanted to know if the gcode file was totally
> everything needed or if Host did something with
> the ini file whilst sending the data to the
> printer or sd card.
>
> From what you've said, everything needed is in the
> gcode file. That's great, thank you.
>
> Another question if I may ?
>
> I'm not at home at the moment so I can't test this
> for myself.
>
> I understand that sending files to an sd card IN
> the printer can be slow. Does host give the option
> - sorry, I've just answered my own question.
> Hitting the disk icon in Host invokes the standard
> apple file save dialogue.
>

Not as clear as you think. The host does more if you use the upload to sd card function.
It removes comments (important with Repetier-Firmware < 0.80, a bug causes missed commands with comments :-(
It adds the start and end code defined in Repetier-Host. These are empty by default, so if you didn't add anything there.
It adds commands to disable extruder/bed/go park position if set in printer configuration.

Except that it is the same.

One of the next mac versions will have a function to store that directly from the host like the windows version already does. Then you can also select binary protocol for storage.

December 18, 2012 12:39PM
Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Maybe I didn't understand what you said properly - you said that when the host sends a file to the sd card in the printer :-

"It adds commands to disable extruder/bed/go park position if set in printer configuration."

I've just sliced something and looked in tempobj.gcode and those commands are already there (Which pleases me smiling smiley)

G92 E0
M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
G28 X0 ; home X axis
M84 ; disable motors
M140 S10 ; turn off bed
; filament used = 3446.9mm (8.3cm3)

Maybe I just mis-understood.

Kind Regards,

C
December 18, 2012 12:51PM
Yes, if configured properly the slicer already adds that,too. It is simply a fallback in case the slicer didn't do it.

December 18, 2012 01:05PM
Great,

Thankyou for being so helpful.

Regards,

C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login