Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repentier-Host/Slic3r interaction difficulties

Posted by BobHewson 
Repentier-Host/Slic3r interaction difficulties
January 15, 2013 11:10PM
I originally posted this under the general forum, should have been posted here.

I have finally completed my Prusa/Mendel printer and have determined everything runs, but the slicer operates using 3mm PLA as the default).

I am somewhat mystified by how Repentier-Host and Slic3r work together.

I am using 1.75mm PLA with a .35 nozzle.

When I run Repentier-Host 0.87 it has a built-in version of Slic3r. It seems somewhat limited in the parameters you can change as well as saving the unique config.ini file.

I have downloaded Slic3r 0.97 and set any relavent parameters for 1.75 filament and saved them. Saving requires a save of each set of parameters (print sttings, filament settings, and printer settings. You are supposed to be able to use the standalone slic3r with Repentier-Host if you put in proper locations in the setup for slicer in Repentier-Host i.e. the "Slic3r configuration directory" and "Slic3r executable". I assume these are the direcories that the Slic3r config is saved to and the directory that Slic3r runs from. By leaving these fields blank you can use Repentier-Host's built-in version of Slic3r.

When I do this I get the g-code file that is associated with "Slice with Slic3r" button is the default settings (3mm, not my 1.75mm settings). I've tried several combinations unsuccessfully

Can someone please explain to me how to do this or what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Bob
Re: Repentier-Host/Slic3r interaction difficulties
January 16, 2013 06:48AM
Ok, it's quite simple if you have understood the basic.

In windows you can always leave the slic3r configuration blank. Slic3r stores is always in the same location. Also 0.82 has 0.97 bundled if you leave it blank but pointing to the external binary is also ok.

In slic3r you have 3 parts filament, print and printer which you use to define your settings. Once you closed slic3r the host will rescan the config directory. In the host you have in the Slicer tab a section for Slic3r. There you select the 3 config parts you want to use. From these 3-5 parts (multiextruder) the host builds for every new slice a new config.ini which is used for slic3r.

Hope it is now clear, if not ask what part make you trouble:-)

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 16, 2013 11:39AM
Thanks, I will go through the process again bearing in mind your comments.

Bob
January 16, 2013 12:52PM
Repentier,

I reviewed what you said and what I understand is the procedure, but without success. I have detailed below what I did.

I have a configuration which I have customized for 1.75 PLA using a 0.35 nozzle. I have called this setup "PLA red initial setup". I have completed the print settings using this name as well, the filament and printer settings in Slic3r. The file(s) have been saved.

I open Repentier-Host and load a simple stl file, it shows on the platform/bed for object placement.

I open slic3r in Repentier-Host, and press setup. A screen opens for Slic3r setup. I have the top slic3r configuration directory set to ..."repentier work directory" and my "PLA red initial startup config.ini". Slic3r executable is left blank, this will use Slic3r that is builtin to Repentier-Host, correct? I press OK, the screen closes and it should be ready to slice with the Slic3r file I customized and specified.

There are no details indicating my custom config showing on the Repentier-Host screen.

If I now press "slice with slic3r" and the job is sliced. The resulting file in the G-code editor indicated it was newly created, but uses the defaullt config file using a .5 nozzle and 3mm filament.

Obviously something I am doing is not correct. Can you see what I am doing wrong?

Bob
January 16, 2013 05:51PM
BobHewson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Repentier,
>
> I reviewed what you said and what I understand is
> the procedure, but without success. I have
> detailed below what I did.
>
> I have a configuration which I have customized for
> 1.75 PLA using a 0.35 nozzle. I have called this
> setup "PLA red initial setup". I have completed
> the print settings using this name as well, the
> filament and printer settings in Slic3r. The
> file(s) have been saved.

It is important to understand that slic3r has 2 config systems. If you are using the export config from the file menu you are using the wrong one. You definitely need the save buttons in the 3 config tabs.

>
> I open Repentier-Host and load a simple stl file,
> it shows on the platform/bed for object
> placement.
>
> I open slic3r in Repentier-Host, and press setup.
> A screen opens for Slic3r setup. I have the top
> slic3r configuration directory set to
> ..."repentier work directory" and my "PLA red
> initial startup config.ini".

That is completely wrong and will cause your problem. This must be blank or point to the Slic3r config directory $HOME/AppData/Roaming/Slic3r

> Slic3r executable is
> left blank, this will use Slic3r that is builtin
> to Repentier-Host, correct? I press OK, the
> screen closes and it should be ready to slice with
> the Slic3r file I customized and specified.

NO! It will use the 3 config parts set in the slicer tab of the hos named
>
> There are no details indicating my custom config Print Settings/Printer Settings/Extruder 1. These are the names given when you saved them in Slic3r. When you started Slic3r configure from host the list gets updated as soon as you exit Slic3r. Select there the kombination you want.

> showing on the Repentier-Host screen.
>
> If I now press "slice with slic3r" and the job is
> sliced. The resulting file in the G-code editor
> indicated it was newly created, but uses the
> defaullt config file using a .5 nozzle and 3mm
> filament.

Hard to say what config is taken when the host can't find the real configs. Guess some Slic3r default settings are used.

>
> Obviously something I am doing is not correct.
> Can you see what I am doing wrong?
>

If you update the config directory it should work as expected.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
January 16, 2013 07:15PM
I had the same problem as you experienced.
Here is my solution.
In the setup window for slic3r both fields are blank.
I had to find where the slic3r config was actually being stored.
In my case c:\documents and settings\stevek\local settings\application data\repetierhost.
In this directory there should be a slic3r.ini file

If not then click the configure button in repetier-host slic3r.
Click file export and export to your location above with the name slic3r.ini

Now close the window, now it should automatily load that file and you can make changes and they will be written to this file. No need to export each time.
After you make a change there is a small disc icon to save each tabs settings.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 07:17PM by Spk64.
January 16, 2013 09:07PM
Thanks, I will work through the suggestions from both Repentier and Steve. I'll report back on how I made out in a day or two..

Sure is great to have people so willing to help us old guys (retired and 76)

Bob
January 17, 2013 03:04AM
@Spk64 Your solution is only a trick working around wrong usage.

If you do it right, the host will create exactly that slic3r.ini on each slice from the 3 parts print/printer/filament that you selected from the slic3r tab. But you need to create them in Slic3r. You create these in slic3r with the little save button icon above each of these groups in Slic3r. The export config in the file menu is the wrong way!

January 17, 2013 06:26PM
Yes, I understand but for some reason it would not work.
After I did the export, it did start working and I was able use the little save button.
Thanks,
January 19, 2013 04:13PM
Hi Repentier,

I tried what you suggested, at least I think I did. I am still not getting result I expect.

I have the three customized files for PLA using 1.75 filament, and 0.35 nozzle.

I load a simple STL file and place it.

I open "Slice" section then I open setup and put your "$home/appData/roaming/slic3r" (not sure I understand this search command). in the Slic3r Conficuration directory. (If I run this search command from the Start button too, shouldn't it take me to the directory which should have the config file?)
Press OK

Then I choose configure. At the bottom are the 3 settings, Print settings, Filament, and Printer. The choice defaulted is my "PLA red initial startup config" for the three setting options. Since thes all have my customized settings, I can return to each setting menus and save them as "default". This will then be my customized settings? No, the file is sliced with the original default of 3mm filament and 0.5
nozzle.

Retuning to the configuration screen and checking the default I find they contain my settings, but they were not used by Repentier-Host to do the slicing...

I can get slic3r to slice the file and export as a G-code file, bu t this seems to be a workaround and not how I should do it.

Where would I expect to find/locate the original config file? If it is missing perhaps I can just copy the one that Slic3r creates and stores in my "Repentier Work directory".

Am I missing something obvious here?

I am using Window Vista on my system.

I do appreciate your help with this.

Bob
January 19, 2013 04:32PM
BobHewson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Repentier,
>
> I tried what you suggested, at least I think I
> did. I am still not getting result I expect.
>
> I have the three customized files for PLA using
> 1.75 filament, and 0.35 nozzle.
>
> I load a simple STL file and place it.
>
> I open "Slice" section then I open setup and put
> your "$home/appData/roaming/slic3r" (not sure I
> understand this search command). in the Slic3r
> Conficuration directory. (If I run this search
> command from the Start button too, shouldn't it
> take me to the directory which should have the
> config file?)

NO! $home must be replaced by your homedirectory! WIth this settings the host will not find the configs. Or leave it blank then the correct path is used anyway.

> Press OK
>
> Then I choose configure. At the bottom are the 3
> settings, Print settings, Filament, and Printer.

NO NO! It absolutely unimportant what you select inside Slic3r! You have to select the saved configs in the Host in the Slicer Tab under the Slic3r section. If you can't see them there you have not selected the right path!

If it still does not work make some screenshots from what you did. I have sometimes the idea you are talking about other parts then I do.

January 19, 2013 08:37PM
Repentier,

OK, all is now working properly.

I deleted and reinsstalled the software, removing all traces from my computer. With a clean install everything now works as expected.

Besides not doing things properly I must have had a corruption in my program or a file.

Thanks for all your help. If nothing else, having problems like this forces me get to know more of the ins and outs of the software and process a little better than if everything worked without a problem.

Again, thanks for your ehlp and patience.

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login