Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier/Rumba/Endstops

Posted by roygpa 
Repetier/Rumba/Endstops
February 19, 2013 10:28AM
I bought a Rumba board and decided to give the Repetier firmware a shot on my newly built Lulzbot TK-0 after using Sprinter for the past year on two other Prusaprinters. I've been able to get the X and Y axes moving in both direction, the extruder moves only backwards, and I cannot get the endstops to respond at all. I figure I can solve the extruder issue but for the life of me, I cannot get my endstops working. They are mechanical. I have tried all combination of pins on the endstops and on the board. One combination actually turned the board off.

Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks.

Roy

Edit: Mods, could you please put this in the firmware sub older? sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 10:42AM by roygpa.
Re: Repetier/Rumba/Endstops
February 19, 2013 01:34PM
I hope the pins provided are the right ones. Havent tested the endstops for rumba so far, will do that when I'm back. But you also have to adjust the endstopsettings. For mechanical endstops pullup on, endstop on. Test with M119 if the endstop works and signal changes.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
February 19, 2013 02:48PM
Here's another stupid question. Should I be able to read a voltage across two of the three endstop pins?

Thanks.

Roy

Edited: I guess I need the ground pin and the signal pin, not ground and 5volt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 02:57PM by roygpa.
February 20, 2013 02:59AM
The three pins are 5v, gnd and signal (not necessary in that order), so yes across the first 2 you should have 5v. For mechanical endstops connect the gnd and signal to your switch. Make sure to never connect the 5v with gnd over switch or you get a short.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
February 20, 2013 08:27AM
"Make sure to never connect the 5v with gnd over switch or you get a short"

Been there, done that, won't do it again.

Thank you for your help, repetier.

Roy
February 20, 2013 02:22PM
On the schematic here:
it has
X-min- 53
X-max- 54
y-min- 55
y max- 56
z-min--57
Z-max- 58

but on the pin.h table here: and in the repetier table
it has:
X-min- 36
X-max- 37
y-min- 34
y max- 35
z-min--32
Z-max- 33

could this be my problem?
February 21, 2013 03:03AM
Good to know the schematics are now released. To me the numbers look like pin numbers. What you need are the arduino pin id, which differs from the pin number. You find the pin configuration also here [reprap.org] and it shows the same numbers.

February 21, 2013 11:42AM
Do you think I might have fried that section of the board when I connected the + pin and - pins and then + to S pins when I was trying to figure out the right combination? I bought a second Rumba for another printer so I could switch the current one out.

Thanks.

Roy
February 21, 2013 01:21PM
Answered my own question...I guess an easy way to figure out if I burnt the board or the stepper driver is to swap out the driver with one that I know is working. I'll try that tonight too.
February 21, 2013 08:42PM
I swapped the stepper drivers around, connected all three endstops and entered the M119 command and it does change from High when the stops are open and Low when they are closed but the motors all still moved with the switches closed. Is there something in the firmware I should change?

The Rumba board also seems unstable with all endstops connected and constantly disconnects from the computer, then it is very difficult to re-connect.

Roy
February 22, 2013 03:09AM
M119 should show h when triggert, if not invert the invert option for that end stop.
In the default settings he end stops are only used for homing and z every time going down. There is an option to changüe this, something like always check endstops, which you can set to true.

My printer for the rumba board is not ready yet, so i can't say anything about stability, but often instabilities come from problems with the psu espeially with atx psus, if they have no 5v load to stabilize.

February 22, 2013 08:03AM
Repetier:

Thank you for your help on this, I appreciate it.

I have a 30 amp 12 volt power supply that I bought on eBay, same as the other two printers that I have built. I will twist the endstop wiring tonight to try to stop any stray signals coming from them. and make the "always check endstops setting and invert the settings..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 08:07AM by roygpa.
Re: Repetier/Rumba/Endstops-SOLVED
February 22, 2013 06:00PM
Repetier:

Changing the endstops per you post above (high on Trigger) and making the Always check Endstops= True solved my endstop issues.

Thanks for walking me through this.

Roy
March 31, 2013 01:50PM
im having trouble with my endstops also. im using a prusa i3 with a rambo board and repetier host/firmware. ive calibrated all axis's and the extruder successfully. the endstops wont work, im getting more in the mail. but yesterday only 2 wouldnt work, today none will work. im thinking the problem might not be with the endstops though...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login