Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

altering print speed

Posted by dave584 
altering print speed
March 13, 2013 04:36PM
I am having difficulty altering print speed. I have set max speed in firmware but when I try to alter print speeds in slicer settings its does not make a difference.

How else can I change the speed if this does not work?

I am having trouble bringing up the eeprom values with the M205 command. Nothing happens in host when I enter it in the g code window?
Re: altering print speed
March 14, 2013 01:48PM
You should check if the output of slic3r contains higher feedrates as you wished. You need to save the slic3r settings before using them. As long as they are lower then the maximum feedrate set in firmware it should have an effect. If your acceleration is low you will not be able to reach max. speed within your limited printer space. Acceleration should be at least 1000, which gives smooth accelerations and can go as high as 5000 and more depending on printer type.

If M205 shows nothing you have no EEPROM support compiled into the firmware. Set EEPROM_MODE to 1 and reinstall.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 14, 2013 02:13PM
Thanks, with define eeprom to 1 now I get info with M205.
Have managed to get it to do different speeds now. Not having much luck with higher speeds it was skipping steps. Now the problem I have is its printing all layers onto the first layer, it does not move up Z. Z is working fine it homes ect just for the print it forgets to move Z. I have checked the g code it has X, Y and E but not Z? Any idea what that could be?

If I want to alter say acceleration what are the numbers bellow for in eeprom.h? must I change these?
#define EPR_X_MAX_ACCEL 51
#define EPR_Y_MAX_ACCEL 55
#define EPR_Z_MAX_ACCEL 59
March 14, 2013 02:46PM
dave584 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, with define eeprom to 1 now I get info
> with M205.

Good.

> Have managed to get it to do different speeds now.
> Not having much luck with higher speeds it was
> skipping steps. Now the problem I have is its
> printing all layers onto the first layer, it does
> not move up Z. Z is working fine it homes ect just
> for the print it forgets to move Z. I have
> checked the g code it has X, Y and E but not Z?
> Any idea what that could be?

The z move is only every x 100 lines on the layer change. Go to the gcode viewer and see how many layers you see with the gcode loaded. If it is only one layer the gcode is created wrong.
If you are using slic3r the z moves are done at travel speed, which is too high for the printer. Therefore it is important to limit the max speed in z direction to values your printer can handle. Typical around 2-5 mm/s. You can change them from print/travel in the eeprom settings. If the values are too high the z-axis will stall which is the same as not moving.

>
> If I want to alter say acceleration what are the
> numbers bellow for in eeprom.h? must I change
> these?
> #define EPR_X_MAX_ACCEL 51
> #define EPR_Y_MAX_ACCEL 55
> #define EPR_Z_MAX_ACCEL 59

I hope you are not suggesting to change the values in the firmware eeprom.h file. If you do that I can assure you get trouble. These are the offsets. To change eeprom values it is best to connect with repetier-host and open the eeprom-settings window. There you can change the values easily.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 14, 2013 08:08PM
Hi Repetier,
You were spot on yes it must be that the z feedrate was being too fast it must have stalled it completely without it even atempting to move.
Now I can finally alter the eeprom..wonderful, been having a problem with that for a while.
To recap the thread I have defined eeprom mode '1' in configuration.h saved and uploaded.
sent M205 in host then you can find and edit the eeprom in the cofig tab. winking smiley
I look forward to making all kinds of creations tomorrow lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login