Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machine pause

Posted by 3ntrlab 
Machine pause
May 18, 2013 04:45AM
Is it possible to link one input pin to IMMEDIATE pause/restart of printing job (not waiting for the cache to be emptied) ?

Thank you!
Davide

==============================
no toys here...sorry
Re: Machine pause
May 18, 2013 08:26AM
No that is not possible. The buffer is filled with the assumption that all moves get printed in a row without pause. Even reducing them to stop sooner is not possible, becaus e the commands are already discarded at that stage.

If I would simply stop you would loose steps and ruin your print.

If you need pause at special positions use the

@pause message

host command. That is the only reliable way to get a pause where you need it.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
May 18, 2013 08:48AM
Was thinking to put a microswitch to detect end-of-spool conditions to avoid ruining a print while out for lunch.

Thank you anyway.
Davide

no toys here...sorry
May 18, 2013 09:27AM
Why didn't you say that directly!

For end of spool there is a nice solution if used with the host. Put the microswitch on the UI_ACTION_PAUSE action. That will send a pause request to the host and then it will go into pause mode. You can then even move the extruder around, reheat extrude until you get flow etc.. All this is not possible with a stupid pause/continue but needed if you switch the spool.

For end of spool detection it is no problem that some moves need to finish before pause if the switch is far enough from the extruder, e.g. at the spool.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
May 18, 2013 10:13AM
If I understand well, the machine tells to the pc to pause the machine.
No way to bypass the PC (i.e.: when printing mulitple copies from onboard sd card) ?

Bye
Davide

no toys here...sorry
May 18, 2013 11:27AM
You could of course use UI_ACTION_SD_PAUSE instead, but that would not be very satisfying. You are not allowed to move extruder or extruder during that pause, or if you do you have to set back the conditions of the pause which are unknown to you. That is why the pc solution works and the other not - the host remembers the position for you and does all the reset stuff. Doing that in the firmware is difficult and needs larger changes.

May 19, 2013 04:13PM
Trying to do something similar. I hope to add two sensors: 1 to detect a true filament out and eventually 1 to monitor filament movement to determine when we have a blockage at the hot end or a knot in the incoming filament.

See: [forums.reprap.org]
May 19, 2013 04:54PM
Well , to me a "good enough" solution would be : on a given high signal over a given pin, the printer would halt and go to park position. That way user can manually do whatever needed without moving any axis (as long as the manual intervention is not skipping steps...losing position control).

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
October 01, 2013 10:49AM
repetier
Put the microswitch on the UI_ACTION_PAUSE action.

So, how do you do this exactly in code? Thanks!

void PauseMe() {
byte PauseButton = digitalRead(PAUSE_BUTTON_PIN);
if (PauseButton) {
???
}
}

Is there also a way to unpause from the firmware?

Is it also possible to send GCODE commands to the buffer during pause using e.g.:
gcode_execute_PString(PGM_P cmd);
?
July 28, 2016 10:22AM
Repetier
Put the microswitch on the UI_ACTION_PAUSE action

Can someone please explain how to implement the above action. What pins do I connect the microswitch too? I use ramps 1.4. What is UI_ACTION_PAUSE and how do I connect to it??? I use Repetier Host and I don't use an LCD screen or sd card. I want the microswitch to pause the print but still be able to use the xyz axis and extruder and then after that resume the print.

Thanks
July 28, 2016 01:05PM
Yes,
I am in desparate need for this too.

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login