Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier-Host / Z Homeposition / R2C2_Teacup

Posted by somebuddy 
Repetier-Host / Z Homeposition / R2C2_Teacup
July 01, 2013 09:29AM
hi,

I put my z end-stop at the top. If i click home-z in Repertier-Host , my printer drives into home position. But Repertier-Host shows 0,0 in Z instead of 164mm so i can't drive it down after homing.

Any idea ?

Greetings
Re: Repetier-Host / Z Homeposition / R2C2_Teacup
July 01, 2013 10:02AM
Go to Printer Settings->Printer Shape and select Max as endstop position for z and also enter the exact printer height there. Then Z is the z max value after homing in the host.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
July 01, 2013 03:07PM
Thank you !
July 02, 2013 10:15AM
I'm having a similar issue here, when I configure the Z stop to max, it homes in the same direction as it does when configured to min, this means that even when I invert the axis in the firmware, once homes into the max position, attempting to move the axis physically down means telling the firmware to move the axis up which is blocked due to the activation of the endstop.
When I invert the endstop settings under
#define Z_HOME_DIR
the printer will refuse to home at all

I should probably add that when I set the Z home to min, it will home to the top and then can be moved away from the stepper by telling the firmware to move down, so the problem seems to be that when the firmware is told to home to Z it doesn't invert the homing direction. If I invert the Z axis in the firmware or by switching the stepper wires to homes away from the endstop regardless of whether is it set to home min or max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 10:37AM by myfacelackseyes.
July 02, 2013 10:27AM
For a max endstop you need Z_HOME_DIR -1
You need also to disable software max endstop for z and disable z min endstop and enable z max endstop. Some boards have only 3 endstop pins. In this case all are defined as min endstop. You need to change the pin number for max endstop in pins.h for your board in that case and set min z pin to -1.

You can see your endstop status with M119. It shoud show z max if configured correctly.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
July 02, 2013 11:07AM
ok here are the changes I made

/* By default all endstops are pulled up to high. You need a pullup if you
use a mechanical endstop connected with gnd. Set value to false for no pullup
on this endstop.
*/
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MIN false
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MIN false
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MIN false
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MAX false

//set to true to invert the logic of the endstops
#define ENDSTOP_X_MIN_INVERTING true
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MIN_INVERTING true
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MIN_INVERTING true
#define ENDSTOP_X_MAX_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MAX_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MAX_INVERTING true

// Set the values true where you have a hardware endstop. The Pin numbe ris taken from pins.h.

#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true

//If your axes are only moving in one direction, make sure the endstops are connected properly.
//If your axes move in one direction ONLY when the endstops are triggered, set ENDSTOPS_INVERTING to true here

//// ADVANCED SETTINGS - to tweak parameters

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false
#define DISABLE_E false

// Inverting axis direction
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

//// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1

// Delta robot radius endstop
#define max_software_endstop_r true

//If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than zero.
#define min_software_endstop_x false
#define min_software_endstop_y false
#define min_software_endstop_z true

//If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
#define max_software_endstop_x true
#define max_software_endstop_y true
#define max_software_endstop_z false

// If during homing the endstop is reached, ho many mm should the printer move back for the second try
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_MOVE 5
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_MOVE 5
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_MOVE 2

// For higher precision you can reduce the speed for the second test on the endstop
// during homing operation. The homing speed is divided by the value. 1 = same speed, 2 = half speed
#define ENDSTOP_X_RETEST_REDUCTION_FACTOR 2
#define ENDSTOP_Y_RETEST_REDUCTION_FACTOR 2
#define ENDSTOP_Z_RETEST_REDUCTION_FACTOR 2

// When you have several endstops in one circuit you need to disable it after homing by moving a
// small amount back. This is also the case with H-belt systems.
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_ON_HOME 1
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_ON_HOME 14
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME 0

// You can disable endstop checking for print moves. This is needed, if you get sometimes
// false signals from your endstops. If your endstops don't give false signals, you
// can set it on for safety.
#define ALWAYS_CHECK_ENDSTOPS false

// maximum positions in mm - only fixed numbers!
// For delta robot Z_MAX_LENGTH is maximum travel of the towers and should be set to the distance between the hotend
// and the platform when the printer is at its home position.
// If EEPROM is enabled these values will be overidden with the values in the EEPROM
#define X_MAX_LENGTH 165
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH 175
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH 80

// Coordinates for the minimum axis. Can also be negative if you want to have the bed start at 0 and the printer can go to the left side
// of the bed. Maximum coordinate is given by adding the above X_MAX_LENGTH values.
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

I switched the pins for the min and max endstop in pin.h so that
#define Z_STEP_PIN 32
#define Z_DIR_PIN 33
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN 17
#define Z_MIN_PIN -1
#define Z_MAX_PIN 36

the host now recognises z_max.h when m119 is called but the axis does not stop when it interrupts the endstop when told to home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 11:16AM by myfacelackseyes.
July 02, 2013 11:18AM
If M119 shows h the printer will not move in that direction. That's because h means triggered.

Except this your config looks right, also I can not say for the pin assignments as I do not know your board.

Try switching the z endstop and use M119 to check if it switches. But you problem lies in the z-endstop settings. Wrong pin id or wrong connected. If it the same as x/y the pullup/invert settings should be ok.

July 02, 2013 11:27AM
It has mysteriously started working!
thanks for your help!

scratch that- refuses to home again, just sits there : (

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 11:43AM by myfacelackseyes.
July 02, 2013 11:52AM
Infos about board can be found here: [www.reprap.org]

Pin number should be correct.
#define Z_MIN_PIN -1 
#define Z_MAX_PIN 36

disabled the pin for z min, so nothing special there.

What I do not understand is that you get H for all endstops not triggered. It should be L and testing my own printer where inverting is also enabled, it show L when not triggered and H when triggered. Or is it only Z that is the other way around?

July 02, 2013 12:04PM
no they are all H when not interrupted and L when interrupted, I'm using optical endstops which may be why that is the case or maybe it is to do with the way the printrboard is set up?

each axis does do it's own strange thing though

The Y axis when told to home, homes and then steps back once and forwards once
The X axis when told to home, homes, steps back and then mashes the flag into the opto (takes to many steps forward but I haven't calibrated steps per mm for repetier yet so that may be the issue here)
The Z axis' most recent functioning behaviour was to home and step back and forward as it should but now, after moving it down to the print surface to set the printer height (just under 161mm) does not resond to the home command other than to set the co-ordinates of the print head to 161.
July 02, 2013 12:20PM
myfacelackseyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no they are all H when not interrupted and L when
> interrupted, I'm using optical endstops which may
> be why that is the case or maybe it is to do with
> the way the printrboard is set up?
>
> each axis does do it's own strange thing though
>
> The Y axis when told to home, homes and then steps
> back once and forwards once
> The X axis when told to home, homes, steps back
> and then mashes the flag into the opto (takes to
> many steps forward but I haven't calibrated steps
> per mm for repetier yet so that may be the issue
> here)

That is normal. They test endstop twice for higher precision. One time fast and then again slower. To disable endstop safely you can configure to step back again with
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_ON_HOME 1
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_ON_HOME 14
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME 0

> The Z axis' most recent functioning behaviour was
> to home and step back and forward as it should but
> now, after moving it down to the print surface to
> set the printer height (just under 161mm) does not
> resond to the home command other than to set the
> co-ordinates of the print head to 161.

Stop! You moved the max endstop down??? The max endstop must be at the top! It is a max endstop not min. Or is this a special printer where it is flipped? The firmware only checks the endstop in moving direction, other endstops are ignored.

July 02, 2013 12:28PM
no, the Z-max endstop is at the top- I moved the X carridge down the z axis to get a reading for calibrating the printer size, I'm not a nutter : )
I wasn't suggesting other endstops were interfering with the Z axis, just noting that there is some strange behaviour associated with the X axis.
July 02, 2013 01:57PM
Ok I'm giving up for today but just to report the latest
I reinstalled marlin to verify that all axes work as they should so it must be some sort of software issue
Currently, neither the x or z axes are responsive in both direction - the X seems to be stuck while the Z will only move down but when told to move up, updates the coordinates without attempting to move the steppers.
July 02, 2013 07:24PM
Ok I have what seems to be a stable and working setup with all axes and endstops behaving themselves, I've attached the configuration.h file I'm currently running incase anyone else has the same problems, for reference I'm using :
printrboard Rev E
10k thermistor on the extruder (100k is more common as I understand it but my hotend is very old)
100k thermistor on the heatbed
min X and Y endstops
max Z endstop

Everything else is untouched as I'm using the EEPROM from the host to configure the steps/mm etc.

I'll check back after I've done a few prints/ if the machine fails again- hopefully that config file is of use to someone : )
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (47.3 KB)
July 03, 2013 03:11PM
well the homing process seem to be stable, but I've run into two more issues:
The extruder only ever runs in one direction, even when I change the status of
#define EXT0_INVERSE false
strangely, in the Host, it will run the stepper counter-clockwise (retract on my setup) whether it's told to extrude or retract.
The other issue is that when I attempted a test print; before I noticed the extruder issue, the machine attempted to home the Z axis to down- away from the max endstop. I thought that the machine might just be moving the head into print position but it proceeded to move below the 0 co-ordinate. Curiously when told to home G28, the machine homes upward towards the max endstop: it seems to be an problem restricted to the print homing routine.

had a look at the G code- and deleted the G28 there to see if it would run if I manually homes the axes.
It seems that the problem lies with the "lift nozzle" command (G1 Z5 F5000 )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 03:39PM by myfacelackseyes.
July 03, 2013 04:15PM
I've now discovered that the problem occurs with any g1 z command- the X and Y axes respond correctly but the Z axis seems to forget it's starting co-ordinate so that if I home the axis to +161mm and then send G1 Z160, instead of moving 1mm the axes will continue moving downwards until it hits the print surface.
The same thing happens with G1 Z0, G1 Z10, G1 Z-50, etc.
June 05, 2014 07:52AM
I have a weird Z-axis problem: no matter what command I try or how I set up the firmware my Z axis will not travel beyond 80 mm. if I go to , let's say 100 mm, it'll stop at 80 and when I go back it'll start moving once I'm going for a value that's under 80 mm.

I've tried every debugging method I could think of.

Please help! not that 80 mm is not a good height but I have 165 mm of clearance sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login