Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No movement

Posted by KeithDib 
No movement
September 14, 2013 08:00AM
Hi

I have RAMPS 1.4 and when I download repatier to it I get no movement from motors ata all, I have tried the RAMPS test firmware and using this all motors rotate fine.

I have checked the config file etcnand changed to correct numbers for ramps

Any help please?
Re: No movement
September 14, 2013 08:42AM
I have that same problem, I don't have the ramps testing software if thats what it is called.

I actually went and bought a new arduino and the ramps board and the drivers, I think it's the arduino firmware, I looked at the pins.h and it don't show anything for 1.4 instead it says 1.3, maybe thats not an issue and just seems odd that it says 1.3 when the latest version is supposed to 1.4

I was thinking it's got something to do with some of the firmware and what it refers to as what version it's looking for, or if it's putting 1.3 on the boards why is it always described as 1.4.

Trying to get help on this issue is like. as long as others have theirs working they don't care, or it's too much to deal with, just trying to get a mendel i2 to print seems like re floating the titanic.

If you find a fix on this don't forget to post it here.
September 14, 2013 10:38AM
So Frank

What are you currently running your printer on if you had same problems?
September 14, 2013 03:27PM
I had a similar problem over the last few days. I posted my inquiry in the Firmware - mainstream and related support forum and received one answer within 24 hours. It was all I needed. This problem isn't repetier specific. It can be caused by at least one of three or more different things, or a combo of them. End Stops. Are they installed correctly and working? Current setting on the stepper drivers. Is it between .4 & .45 v? Firmware. Is the configuration.h end stop configuration setup correct? Go to the aforementioned site and open "Problem with z axis" for the configutaion.h setting. I changed mine to this to fix my problem. And last, but not least. You can't change the setting in repetier firmware on the ramps file without disabling eeprom, To get answers on any of these, google and you'l find them.
September 15, 2013 07:34AM
I need to work out how to test the drivers, as from how to use the multimeter without blowing things up, have seen a blerry phpto of someone doing it.
End stops seem to flash on the Arduino when I manually hit them, are mechanical type and use 2 wires so no real fuss at that point.
I think it's a power problem, I did get the motors to make a groning sound at 1 point on the other arduino board but was short lived, and possibly blew the drivers.

Part of the problem might steam from the actual motors themselves they might be wrong type for this setup, even tho the seller on ebay says they are for a reprap,
Could even be how they are wired as these were hard to get proper info on how to wire the motors to the arduino, what go's to what pin on the board, i did get some diagrams and looked at other video's to get this as right as I could.
The seller says they are ok with the drivers but can get too hot if turned up, will fall over if thats the case,, but I dont think its that.

Step Angle: 1.8
Motor Length: 48mm
Rated Current: 1.8A
Phase Resistance: 1.8Ohm
Phase inductance: 3.2mH

Wiring:
Red: A+
Green: A-
Yellow: B+
Blue: B-
September 15, 2013 07:55AM
Do you mean,
Running it on a vista machine, tried it on my win8 lappy, same setup on all the software, but coms are not the same, I dont think thats the problem as when I try to connect to the printer it says fail from repetier and I did use the repetier firmware as well, could be the adrduino needs a constant coms identified on the arduino, or it could be that the programer is wrong, it keeps wanting to use parrallel programing as standard(tools>programer>parallel programer)that might be wrong and it might need another setting for that, like adruino isp, or something ?
Or It could be that repetier needs more of a fiddle with that is in my understanding of how to set it up, one thing I noticed was pins.h says 1.3 and not 1.4 as identifying a version, and this shows that the age of the software needs an update.

If there was a sketch that I could get as to compare mine with that someone has that has a mendel i2 on 8mm screw thread that might be something that others would need to look at to make comparisons with as well, or just a ready made DL of a sketch for the arduino, but then again might be wishful thinking that would be that simple

Do you mean to ask, win version, or board, as in arduino mega2560
September 15, 2013 10:50AM
1- ramps 1.3 and 1.4 are the same basic electronics. They are different in their physical composition. Type 33 in configuration.h.
2- you need to get the host and firmware communicating. One o the biggest mistakes is not setting the baud rate the same in the host and the firmware. Again, configuration.h and the host.
3- check the wires on the motors to make sure they are in pairs. Go to this website and use Approach 1 #1 (using a multimeter) [digital.ni.com].
4- check your stepper driver voltage using this: [reprap.org]. Read it through and take heed to never disconnect wires from the ramps with the power on. I always totally disconnect every power source before doing anything to the ramps. Remember, the usb is a power source. Test the stepper driver with only the usb power, No power supply.
September 20, 2013 03:17AM
Good to know that there is no difference in 1.3 to 1.4 ramps.

BUT, it's still not working

I did that with the baud rate and made sure they were all the same, went to systems/device manager and checked the com port thats used and changed it there as well as the host and firmware, 3 places to make sure that's all the same.

I did the stepper drivers and have adjusted them up, but wasnt that much to do.

I still have the motors as they were as, still not finding any thing on how they are wired to the arduino, if they are wires as

Wiring:
Red: A+
Green: A-
Yellow: B+
Blue: B-

thats what I was given as what the pairs are from the motor maker, but i think it should be as this to be as pairs according to what pins are on the arduino, and thats whats needed to be known.

I may have the motors wired backwards,b- as 1 and b+ as 2 and so on, will spin them around and see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 03:33AM by frank.
September 20, 2013 04:38AM
frank wrote
If there was a sketch that I could get as to
compare mine with that someone has that has a
mendel i2 on 8mm screw thread

I've a similar set up (ORD Bot Hadron, RAMPS 1.4, Repetier-Firmware V090alpha ...)
You can download my Configuration.h here:

Running Repetier-Firmware

3D Printing :: bit-by-bit - Thingiverse
September 28, 2013 06:19PM
I'm giving up on trying to get this to work, spent too much time on this with still not even a motor moving.

Either the motors are all blown or software firmware is not right or the electronics is fuggerd.

As far as I know, PSU is ok, as far as I know electronics(arduino,ramps) are ok.
Most problems seem to be getting the arduino to talk to the ranps and out put to motors, which is not happening.
mybe later when I get the off the shelf one i have ordered, I will return to see if I can get this to work.

Either the setting up needs a rocket sceintist to make this work, I will put this in the virtual corner with Blender3d, seems that I need 2 left hands to make this work.

opting to buy something that makes sense, where I dont need a university degree to just get a whisper of movement off the motors.

I have worked with electricity with housing and industrial, and have made heating elements for the industrial sector, so am not one to not know basics of what should be working, but I cant read "geek programing" not trying to be offensive , just how I am.
Thanks all, by for now.

p.s arduino pins are,,+b +a -a -b, thats what i was able to find, but that still might be wrong as I have not been able to confirm it with no motors working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2013 06:22PM by frank.
September 29, 2013 03:11AM
> p.s arduino pins are,,+b +a -a -b, thats what i
> was able to find, but that still might be wrong as
> I have not been able to confirm it with no motors
> working.

You mean the motor pins I guess.
[reprap.org]
Shows them as
2B 2A 1B 1A

and I'm quite sure the 2A and B form a coil and 1B and 1A make a coil. This is why switching the connector 180 degree changes the motor direction.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
September 29, 2013 11:34AM
Frank,

I tried these setting that flurin linked to for the endstops etc and have my motors moving now, although I still waiting for a Hotend heater before I can print

flurin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
frank wrote
> ...
> If there was a sketch that I could get as to
> compare mine with that someone has that has a
> mendel i2 on 8mm screw thread
> ...
>
>
> I've a similar set up (ORD Bot Hadron, RAMPS 1.4,
> Repetier-Firmware V090alpha ...)
> You can download my Configuration.h here:
>
>
> Running Repetier-Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login