Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comms testing

Posted by bryanandaimee 
Comms testing
January 04, 2014 01:17PM
I'm doing some testing on Sanguish to track down some interference on the serial line and while getting some baseline values I found that above 38400 baud rate the time to upload files to an SD card doesn't change. So I guess I have two questions.

1. Is there a setting somewhere to speed up SD writes, or is it limited by some other process?

2. What is the best way to test serial comms reliability at different baud rates?

I'm using the latest version of Software and Firmware, on Win XP. Sanguish is using a 1284P at 20Mhz.

Bryan
Re: Comms testing
January 05, 2014 03:38AM
There is a special debug mode to test communication.
M111 S20

It will ignore all command send, only testing checksum and giving errors back. Baudrate should have an important impact on upload time, but you also should disable ping pong and use the full buffer size of 127 bytes. If your board has a FTDI driver, reducing latency to 4ms in windows hardware settings also speeds up communication. Together with binary protocol you can send around 690 lines/s then.

The firmware uses the spi protocol to write to sd card. Not all cards work and some have a slow spi interface. But in general the writing part is not the bottleneck.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: Comms testing
January 05, 2014 05:48PM
Sounds good. I'll give that a try.

Thanks
Bryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login