Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shift in Z-axis

Posted by mundsen 
Shift in Z-axis
January 26, 2014 03:44PM
Hi!
I have a ORD BOT Hadron + Rumba Controller + Bulldog Extruder + E3D-V5 + 64A + hotend Running the latest Repetier firmware + Repetier Host.
This is a New printer that I `m trying to configure/fine tune.
I have made a simple qube 20x20x20mm in sketchup that I have printed using Repetier, and the printed result is fine and the qube meashures 20x20x20mm +/- 0,0xxmm
But then I made a larger test qube that is 40x40x40mm With some holes.. - when I try to print this it start without any problems, but after some layers (ramdom when) the Y axis shifts 1-3mm.
I have tested 4 times - in one test it shifted after printing 30mm (height), an other after 5-6mm..
I have mounted a fan cooling the drivers, so I do not think heating is an issue, and the belt.. seems fine
When moving the heated bed in the Y axis manually all seems fine
The latest print was With default print speed at 130, but have tested as low as 80

Any hints on why I have this problem, where to start trying to fix it?
Re: Shift in Z-axis
January 26, 2014 03:55PM
Have you checked the temperature of the motors themselves. I noticed the same issue on mine and found it would skip steps when the motor became hot to the touch. I played with the driver tuning for a few days to no avail, so I tried adding a fan to the motor - motor is now only warm to the touch and the issue went away.
January 26, 2014 06:05PM
Put the y axis stepper on one of the free extruder stepper slots and change the configuration accordingly.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 27, 2014 01:08AM
My motors do not get hot at all, so I do not hink that is the problem.
Have swapped stepper drivers on the Y output With one of the unused ones. I`ll do a New test later today.
January 27, 2014 03:22AM
No, not swap drivers. Plug the y motor in the E2 connector and change the pins to use E2_... instead. Can be selected in the online configurator.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
January 27, 2014 03:55AM
If they're not warm at all then it might be due to underpower, try turning the trimpots up by around 1/8 turn.
January 27, 2014 04:20AM
repetier - ok - Why use E2, and not swap drivers?
chngyian - is it normal that the motors get hot? On a small print like this?
January 27, 2014 04:17PM
If I try to select an other stepper driver for my Y axis I can select from (X, Y, Z, Extruder 0, Extruder 2 and Extruder 2) - Extruder 1 is missing ( I use Extruder 2 for mirroring Z for dual Z drivers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 05:10AM by mundsen.
January 28, 2014 03:56AM
Looks like a spelling error. Quite sure that the first Extruder 2 is Extruder 1. Will check when home.

January 28, 2014 06:21PM
Hi, I do not get any movement on the Y axis if I try to use E1 or E2

I have tested selecting Stepper Socket Extruder 1 and I have tested Extruder 2. but still I\M only able to move the Y axis when it is connected to the Y socket

Any idea why?
January 29, 2014 02:57AM
Only if I see the config file. I know it works, so it must be some config error.

January 31, 2014 01:04AM
This is strange - If I Select Extruder 1 or Extruder 2 on Y-Motor, and Connect the Y stepper to E1 or E2 it do not move (only move if I Connect it to the Y output).
But then I mirrored the Extruder 2 output to Y and it Works when Connected to E2

Did a small test print when the Y steper was Connected to E2, and I got the best print so far - I`ll do a test on a larger print later today.
January 31, 2014 05:11PM
Allmost done printing the bottom case for the XXL LCD display from reprapdiscount.com without any shifting in the Y axis :-) so it seems like moving the Y stepper motor to the Extruder 2 output and mirroring Y and E2 solved the problem.
Strange that E2 did not work without mirroring Y and E2..

Is there a fault on my Rumba Controller then?
February 08, 2014 07:43AM
So, this has seemed to solve my Y-axis skipping issue as well.

Is there something wrong with all the Rumba boards that causes this?
February 08, 2014 09:08AM
lynnroth
So, this has seemed to solve my Y-axis skipping issue as well.

Is there something wrong with all the Rumba boards that causes this?

Hi, have sent a mail to reprapdiscount about this - I`ll report back when they answer.

Did you have to Mirror the Y and one of the extruder output like me?
August 14, 2014 08:27PM
hi!
did you get any feedback from reprapdiscount?

i think i have the same issue. the problem is i have a delta so it's not easy to debug wigh of the axis is missing steps.
definitely though there is something going on with the rumba boards.
i have tested on the same machine diferent rumbas and a ramps board. even swaping the drivers to make sure its not a driver problem.
with rumbas the prints get a z-shift every hour aprox, most probably due to some axis missing steps. i previously had the rumba installed in a prusa i3 and it already missed steps on the y axis.

this rumbas are already one year old. i thought it might be an error on one of the first batches or maybe some time-ruined components.
i bought a new board 2 weeks ago and i have the same problem.
August 15, 2014 03:39AM
I got my problem solved, but it`s so long ago that I do not remember..

Do you use a fan to lower the temperature on the stepper drivers?

Have you tested adjuring the stepper driver current?
August 15, 2014 08:52AM
hi!

yes, i had a huge fan, and heatsinks
its not diver related, sine i tested the same drivers on a ramps and rumba boards.
with any rumba i had missing steps. i'm not totally sure it's always the y axis -since i have a delta paralel bot- but i think so

i didn't try using an empty driver slot instead of the y-axis slot, and i will next week when i'm back home. then i will post the results here.
August 15, 2014 09:22AM
And you have updated to the latest Rumba/Repetier code?

I think there was a software bug back when I had the skipping problems.
August 15, 2014 09:28AM
yes i did.
i narrowed the problem down the the "rumba vs ramps" issue.
i guess the board is not as well designed as the ramps in some way.

i think more people might be having this issue -if not every rumba user-
but i think most of the people prints rather small objects so the problem is some times not noticed. at least that's for some people i know
also it might be less -as in smaller displacement- problematic on cartesian bots. if one axis misses steps in a delta bots you not only get a shift but a tilt, so the layer bonding is totally f***ed up
August 15, 2014 09:32PM
ok! this seems to really be a faulty design by reprap discount
i wonder whether they are aware about it

check this answer
[groups.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 09:33PM by faboratory.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login