Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier V1.00 "out of Video Memory" Then crashes (on Win7_64)

Posted by pb2au 
Repetier V1.00 "out of Video Memory" Then crashes (on Win7_64)
August 01, 2014 08:05AM
Regardless of slicer used (Cura or Slic3r), the preview window goes blank with the message Out of Video Memory. The object is displayed, but clicking anything like the manual tab, Run, etc causes the program to crash and stop responding. This is with a single object on the platter. It is a lower x carriage done in opens cad, its upper works fin for reference. Even skipping the slicing in Reptier and losing the geode from Slic3r, also causes the crash.

Is there a way to increase the amount of memory in a config file, or something along those lines? The machine has 16g of ram and 4g of vid ram.

Thanx for any advice

Wil
Re: Repetier V1.00 "out of Video Memory" Then crashes (on Win7_64)
August 01, 2014 09:11AM
I see this as well, no problems with the beta or RC versions. I have also only seen this when RDP to the machine.
August 01, 2014 11:13AM
The "Video out of memory" gets shown, when a error during rendering happens. On my machine this happens when it runs out of memory (which OpenGL does not report so it causes a serious error when using the memory). Apart from really big gcodes which do not fit into my video memory it never appeared. With my 256MB video memory I can draw quite big objects so I'm wondering you get this with 4GB RAM.

Do you get the problem with all gcode files?

I guess the crashes come from the driver since something already went wrong (if it is memory).

I wonder you said " object is displayed" which is not possible when you see the message (or at least that is how it is for me).

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 01, 2014 05:29PM
No, this does not happen with all gcodes. Like I stated before, it only happens with some; and it seems to happen with larger objects.

After loading the object & slicing or loading the gcode, the object does show up in the window, its when you click on anything tab, menu, or even the object itself (such as to rotate it, etc, that the message appears followed with a subsequent crash. I imagine that the files this happens with are just starting to get close to the limit (what ever is limiting) and switching views, tabs, etc is just enough to put it over the threshold of what is breaking.

I have seen this happen when RDP'ing. This is likely due to the changes imposed either by windows or the RDP client that may limit colors, etc. Which in turn means that the graphic's driver is being set to a condition of limited display properties as well as functioning with extension like the openGL. I have seen that with other software, I just don't RDP to use those particular ones.

I have made sure that this error occurs even under a fresh start of the computer with no RDP'ing, as I have seen this problem with other software that if you have RDP'ed into the machine, then later logged in locally, and start afflicted software, that it will have problems displaying even if it had never been open during the RDP session.

I know this isn't much help in resolving the issue, but it is more info!
August 02, 2014 04:09AM
What is your filament preview quality? You might be better of with medium if you thought ultra would be a nice idea. But ultra needs 4x the ram amount. The least consuming mode is simple, but that is quite ugly.

Also what is your definition of large in line count? a million lines should not be problem in medium quality.

I heard RDP and OpenGL do not really play well, so I'm not overly surprised to hear that that causes problems. But for remote control we are already working on a better solution (server).

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 15, 2014 05:32PM
I have the same problem on Windows XP. I only have 256mb video memory, but I cannot run anything with it. As soon as I start up the left screen is solid orange with a message saying "out of video memory" and then it shuts down. Were you able to get yours working? I have not been able to get anything newer than version 0.85 to work
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login