Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier Firmware - corexz

Posted by fraguada 
Repetier Firmware - corexz
August 08, 2014 04:55PM
Hello All!
Was wondering if anyone could help to point me in the right direction to modify the firmware to support a corexz gantry system? I've been studying how the corexy was implemented, but any tips on what to look out for in order to get corexz working properly would be very appreciated.

Thx!
Re: Repetier Firmware - corexz
August 09, 2014 05:25AM
All the logic is in the second bresenham algorithm for cartesian printer (motion.cpp). There you see some special cases for core. The main trick is to double the resolution for x and y and then decide in the step method which motors need to do how many steps. So corexz should reduce to adding some more special cases so the same logic is applied to x and z and not x and y.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 21, 2014 10:26AM
For all core xz users we have some good news.

Andrew Leek made a adaption https://github.com/andrewleek/Repetier-Firmware based on the master branch.

Beside this, the official work092 branch now also includes the changes, so next release version will include support as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 10:45AM by repetier.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
August 22, 2014 09:19AM
First, that is awesome.

However, I skimmed the code and it looks like it is just the CoreXY code but with the XZ axes. This is not true. There is a 3:1 reduction for the Z.

X=x-3z
Z=x+3z

Uppercase for motors and lowercase for actual positions.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
August 22, 2014 09:23AM
Where should the 3z come from in my code? I can't see it. For me it looks like core xy which it should be. Same math so I expect same ratios.

August 22, 2014 09:35AM
Sorry. I stated that wrong. There needs to be a 3:1 reduction.

This keeps the gantry from falling. Actually it would be nice to pick the ratio. I have sketches of a 5:1 and 3:2 setup. The 3:2 makes a lot of sense.

X=m*x-n*z
Z=m*x+n*z

This would be the generic solution. m and n would be constant integers.

I have no expection that you guys will tackle this. Thanks for the attention. Keep up your great work.

ConceptFORGE
August 22, 2014 09:51AM
Not really sure how such a ratio should be implemented. It would require more then one motor step inside the stepper routine. The closest would be to to send 3 steps for every z step it should send. But that gives some negative impacts with other optimizations like double and quadsteppings which then would become 6 * resp. 12*steppings which then would be a bit much. So maybe the reverse could be done and increase resolution by factor 3 and then only step if motorZ is 1 and x when motorX is 3. But that is nothing I would implement without having a machine for testing, but if you see and can test a solution I will import the changes.

August 22, 2014 11:54AM
I did a hackish MarlinXZ. I tried a quick stab at Repetier but it didn't immediately work for me so I thought I would give Marlin a stab. It ended up that Marlin worked for me after my first stab. That should not be a comment on which one is better or worse. In fact, I think Repetier is better and would prefer to use it. I think the problem is just that I don't fully understand what is going on in the Repetier firmware. Anyways, I have my machine happily working so it seems unlikely I will take time to go back and do the Repetier port. I think if I spend any time, I will make a much much different fork that will consolidate all the inverse kinematics down to one location and combine that with a linear/nonlinear switch that will determine if line segmentation is required.

Again, thanks for all your amazing work.

ConceptFORGE
woo
August 27, 2014 11:24PM
2 nicholas:
I am shure that there is no need for this in xz. This system with timing belts is strong enough to keep gantry in place when motors are off.

Also with xz z axis is fast so i dont see a problem when zeroing z axis on zmax and then x and y

Your system is pretty complixated when used with timing belts and i for example dont like fishing line..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 11:26PM by woo.
August 27, 2014 11:39PM
woo
2 nicholas:
I am shure that there is no need for this in xz. This system with timing belts is strong enough to keep gantry in place when motors are off.

Also with xz z axis is fast so i dont see a problem when zeroing z axis on zmax and then x and y
I don't use belts. I am using string. If I did use belts, it would still be nice to have more Z resolution. Additionally, I already have it implemented and it is a super solid useful printer. See the CoreXZ link below for proof.

I think you are right about the gantry not falling if you use belts if you go with a bowden setup. I ended up going with a NEMA17 on the effector. Based on my testing, using the steppers I have this will result in slow falling of the gantry. Have you tested this or do you know of an existing implementation?

I don't use limit switches because it is backdrivable and literally takes 2 seconds to manually zero. However, even with the 3:1 reduction I can get Z speeds north of 50mm/s.

ConceptFORGE
woo
August 28, 2014 03:22AM
all my belts are very tightened to avoid those harmonics wich can be see on edges when nozzle changes direction, and when motors are off there is enough resistance to move axis.

from that i think, when done properly Z axis cannot fall.

on other hand, that requires more power to motors, but you cannot have all...smiling smiley

also, there is no need for some extreme resolution on Z axis., 0.01-0.02 mm is enough
August 28, 2014 09:00AM
Power to the steppers doesn't matter here because I am talking about the gantry falling when the power is off.

With my 18mm drive spool and 3:1 reduction I have .1mm fullstep resolution. Without the reduction it would be .3mm. Ouch.

Do you have a XZ machine? I would love to see pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 12:04PM by nicholas.seward.

ConceptFORGE
September 04, 2014 04:25PM
nicholas.seward
Power to the steppers doesn't matter here because I am talking about the gantry falling when the power is off.

With my 18mm drive spool and 3:1 reduction I have .1mm fullstep resolution. Without the reduction it would be .3mm. Ouch.

Do you have a XZ machine? I would love to see pictures.

where can I get a Marlin firmware for corexz? i want to build another version of corexy. thanks
September 04, 2014 05:05PM
PM me your email if you want me to share my MarlinXZ. It is a hack and has no endstop support. It also has the 3:1 reduction for the Z.

ConceptFORGE
September 07, 2014 07:04PM
Nicholas...have you made a decision whether or not to offer Core XZ kits? Thanks.
September 07, 2014 08:04PM
I will be doing a limited test run. Are you interested?

ConceptFORGE
September 07, 2014 08:09PM
Yes, absolutely! Based on what you've shown I think your Core XZ is the ideal printer for my current needs. Let me know when you are ready to proceed. BTW...waiting to hear back on your ideas for the outside ring idea when you have time. Cheers!
September 08, 2014 12:38AM
nicholas.seward

Me too ! Please add me to the list winking smiley
September 08, 2014 04:47AM
Hi all,
Just returned from the 3d Printshow in London where the FoodForm3d was debut. Andrew Leek helped us out with the Repetier CoreXZ firmware earlier in August. Check out some images:

Here is a list of images by Creative-Tools.com
www.flickr.com/photos/creative_tools/14964234940/
www.flickr.com/photos/creative_tools/14964338948/
www.flickr.com/photos/creative_tools/14964338998/
www.flickr.com/photos/creative_tools/14964234980/
www.flickr.com/photos/creative_tools/14964235190/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 04:48AM by fraguada.
Anonymous User
September 10, 2014 09:09AM
nicholas.seward

Limited test run is interesting. Add me to the list.
February 12, 2015 05:35PM
Hi,

First thanks to Nicholas Seward for sharing your fantastic machine and thanks to Repetier to implement a generic firmware for these.

I tried the firmware version 0.92.2 Repetier to handle the Core XZ I'm doing and I think that something is wrong.

The Y axis is controlled by a single Motor, the platform always moving in the same direction whether you ask him forward as if you ask him to back off.

In the XZ plane, I got all the moves correctly except the recoil on the X axis When I ask this movement motor B rotates in the wrong direction.

I have tried the Drive system 8 and 9 with similar results.

[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]
Attachments:
open | download - img013.jpg (124.9 KB)
February 13, 2015 03:15AM
Assuming it normally works I would say your direction pin for y axis does not reach the driver. Try running it on extruder 2 socket for example to verify.

Regarding xz plane there are 8 possible combinations. Drive system 8 and 9 plus inverse direction for motor a and b. One of them should be th eone you search. Instead of changing inverse you can also simply turn motor pin 180°.

February 13, 2015 10:44AM
The Y axis I tested in two different RAMPS, with the same results.

The truth is I dont understand the difference between Drive system 8 and 9. I tested with both nice but I think my system is the Drive system 8, the more standard.

The drive system 9 would understand that in cases where when a positive displacement of the Z coordinate is needed, which is the platform to move downward. Am I right?

We reverse the direction of rotation of the motors could work if it fails in both directions of X but failed in only one. When I invest I just passes the problem backwards.

In any case I will continue testing with the Drive System 8 and varying directions of rotation of the motors A and B.
February 13, 2015 12:32PM
I have checked the code and now I can't believe it ever worked for XZ. So the one who wrote the code might not have tested it for XZ? Here Z motor was always set based on z direction after setting it correctly and y direction was never set. I have updated work092 so that it should now work as expected.

February 13, 2015 01:46PM
Now yes!

I'm cheking it and it works great.
October 25, 2015 06:54PM
There is a problem with the Repetier firmware for Core XZ printers, when you type a G-code order containing shift in X and Z, such as:

G1 X100 Z10 F1800

Does not run correctly, it does not move to the destination point.
October 26, 2015 04:04AM
"Does not run correctly, it does not move to the destination point." is not very precise. If I need a chance to find a problem on a system I do not have I need more data. What commands get issued and what moves get executed? Which distances did it make in reality in which direction? Only with soch data I can make up a theory to compare with code.

October 26, 2015 05:35PM
Sorry I try to explain better. I put G91 for relatives displacements.

When I send G1 X10 Z10 the machine moves something like X-10 Z10
When I send G1 X-10 Z10 the machine moves X10 Z10
When I send G1 X10 Z-10 the machine moves correctly X10 Z-10
When I send G1 X-10 Z-10 the machine moves correctly X-10 Z-10

I dont know if it moves exactly 10 mm in each axis, so I say "something like", its complicated to measure it, But its very easy to see when the machine moves in the wrong direction like the first two cases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 05:36PM by Mecano.
October 26, 2015 05:53PM
It sounds like a stepper is going the wrong direction. With the 3:1 it can get confusing. Try the below and report back.

What happens when you do the following? (I assume you are doing a G92 X0 Y0 between each move or something equivalent.)

G1 X10
G1 X-10
G1 Y10
G1 Y-10

I wouldn't use G91. No slicers output it so its support may be spotty for some firmware solutions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 05:54PM by nicholas.seward.

ConceptFORGE
October 26, 2015 07:29PM
With this orders the machine goes perfectly,

G1 X10
G1 X-10
G1 Y10
G1 Y-10

In fact when you print "normaly" (the X displacemntent goes in a line and the Z displacements in a diferrent line) it prints great.
The problem is when you want to do diagonals in the XZ plane.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login