Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible connection to printer with virtual serial port (LAN)

Posted by justcurious 
Possible connection to printer with virtual serial port (LAN)
March 03, 2015 07:04AM
It may have been asked before, but would it be possible to connect to 3D printer by a virtual serial connection connected to printer and access virtual port by LAN/TCPIP?
This would exclude USB connection but of course need some power and reset considerations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 07:04AM by justcurious.
Re: Possible connection to printer with virtual serial port (LAN)
March 03, 2015 07:07AM
Yes that is possible. That is what Repetier-Server is all about. It is the part connecting to the printer and you control the server over LAN/WLAN. Next Repetier-Host version will also have a connector to connect to server directly instead of using the servers web interface.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 03, 2015 07:11AM
So if I connect one of these stand alone serial-to-lan converters and find a serial port on the arduino to connect with installed virtual port recognized from Repetier, it would work flawless? :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 07:19AM by justcurious.
March 04, 2015 03:05AM
I did not speak about "stand alone serial-to-lan converter". I spoke about connecting to a remote computer that is connected with the printer like e.g. a Raspberry Pi 2. There is also a socket connector in the host which may work in your special case if the converter just dumbly forwards/sends back the data from serial port.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
March 04, 2015 11:36AM
OK then.
I have no use for the server functionality, but my concern is how I could avoid these short USB cables so i wondered whether I could connect Repetier Host with my printer through another serial channel than USB.
I have seen that I can select TCP/IP connection in Host setup, but would connection work with USB replaced by transparent virtual connection tx/rx?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2015 11:37AM by justcurious.
March 04, 2015 11:46AM
I don't have the hardware to test, so just try. I know it works if I use socat on linux as TCP->serial converter. So any hardware working the same should also work. Or use bluetooth->serial converter which seems also to work.

March 04, 2015 12:01PM
Ok then, I might give it a try when time is found.
Is bluetooth fast enough?

Thankyou for your patience :-)
September 25, 2019 06:48AM
There is software for remote access to 3D printer ([www.serial-over-ethernet.com]). Not everyone can provide it, but on a happy occasion I managed to work with him in our production.
In addition, you can also install a web camera, thanks to which you can remotely monitor the work. I found this on another resource, the guys discussed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login