Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer not starting after long shutdown

Posted by BobHewson 
Printer not starting after long shutdown
April 23, 2015 04:21PM
I have not used my Prusa/Mendel printer for several months. When last used it worked well using Repentier and Slic3r. It is in my workshop, dry, and dust free. When last used I used an older HP laptop with win 7.

In the interim my old computer died and my new HP laptop uses Win 8.1 and has 3 physical USB ports.

I have Repentier Ver 1.06 using Slic3r 1.1.7 on my computer now (I have updated my software and was using an earlier version when last printing several months ago on other computer).

I am having several problems, 1st is trouble getting software to connect to the Comm port the error is "access to comm port denied". Sometimes it lists Comm 3&4, sometimes comm 3,4,&5 as options.

Everything seems OK with comm ports when checked with control panel. It does list a comm port for the Arduino mega 2560(comm5). Baud rate is set at 19200.

By fiddling with comm ports I have been able to get the connect icon to go green indicating the printer is on and I see some powered LEDs on both boards when I have a green connect icon. My power supply is giving power to the Arduino board.

I can load a stl file and slice it with slicer using Repentier.

When I go to manual control the fan and extruder are disabled, but will enable when clicked, but not run or get hot.

Herein lies the problems. Nothing happens. Can't move "X", "Y", "Z". Won't home, fan will not start, temperatures won't rise, and there is no info to manually control my heated bed as was in earlier versions.

Can anyone suggest how to get consistant Comm port connections, and why my printer is not starting and how to get it moving again? (I am not a tech person when it comes to working my way around electronics, but have been printing for a couple of years with this kit-built printer).

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Re: Printer not starting after long shutdown
April 24, 2015 03:18AM
First try using a powered usb hub. Might be that the laptop does not the 500mA it should deliver on usb port so board is underpowered.

From your description I see when connected nothing needing more then 5V fromusb works. 2 possible reasons
1. No communication. Green means only serial connected but with wrong baudrate it might still not talk. If you have a lcd display you would see e.g. speed multiplier change if it works. If not host shows x commands waiting at the bottom.
2. Main power not connected, not enabled or defect.

Just my most likely guesses.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
April 25, 2015 12:30PM
Hi Repetier,

Thanks for the suggestions, I invested in a powered USB hub, retried, still no success.

I went back to zero and reset all printer settings in Repetier Host. Baud rate is set at 115200 and is set to same rate using Control panel's Device manager (it has a range of settings 75 to 128000 for this port). Still no luck.

I sliced a project using Slic3r and have copied the 1st few lines in case there are any clues. I also checked to see that my power supply is working and seems OK with power output to the circuit boards, I remain baffled.

Bob

; generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on 2015-04-25 at 11:52:34

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.35mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.39mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.39mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.39mm

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
M190 S65 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
M104 S195 ; set temperature
M24; START
M106; start fan at 50%
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

M109 S195 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G92 E0
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G1 F1800.000 E-1.00000
G92 E0
G1 Z0.350 F7800.000
G1 X71.149 Y54.944 F7800.000
G1 E1.00000 F1800.000
G1 X72.680 Y53.112 E1.21967 F1080.000
G1 X74.328 Y51.383 E1.43934
April 25, 2015 12:45PM
The baud rate in control panel ha sno influence. It always gets overriden. Also the slicer code is of no importance if you can not connect.

You should try 250000 baud which is a often used baud rate also not available in control panel.

Are you already sure about the com port? You seemed to have some other devices with serial connection as well. Check which com port appears if you plug in the printer, thats the right one. If drivers are not installed it does not get a com port number!

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
April 25, 2015 01:11PM
Hi again,

I tried a an old configuration file I had, (still using latest Repetier Host andf Slic3r) turned it on, and dammed if everything worked including am line in manual control for my heated bed.

Not sure what differred in this set-up, I'll do some more cheking and see what I can see.

For now all is well, again, thanks for your help.

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login