Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feeder issues

Posted by romaytech 
Feeder issues
June 01, 2015 01:40PM
Hello,

I can really use some help. I am currently using what I believe is is Bowden extrude but I am having issues with it. It appears to be trying to feed too fast and will push the filament out of the feeder OR start skipping on the filament and snap it, I have tried changing settings in the configuration.h file, tried changing EEPROM settings, and also tried changing settings in Repieter / Slicer but have been unsuccessful. I have been Google'ing this for two days but did not come up with anything that works

Current Hardware / Software

Arduino Mega
Ramps 1.4
Repeiter Firmware / Host

I am attaching a photo of what happening. Any help would be greatly appricated
Attachments:
open | download - 100_7995.JPG (571.2 KB)
Re: Feeder issues
June 01, 2015 02:16PM
Filament diameter in your slicer?

Tip size in your slicer?

Steps/mm in your config? Have you tested 100mm extrusion for accuracy with tube disconnected?

Head not hot enough to allow proper extrusion?

Blockage in the hot end (you fail to mention if anything extrudes at all . . . )

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 02:19PM by tadawson.
June 01, 2015 02:46PM
Hello,

Thank you, I am new to 3d printers so I apologize for not posting more info.

Filament diameter in your slicer? : 1.75

Tip size in your slicer? : .5 just realized the tips size that came with it is .3 so changed it and going to test it now (changing it did not work, actually worse would not print first layer)

Steps/mm in your config? Have you tested 100mm extrusion for accuracy with tube disconnected? : In manual mode I would use the extrude 100 correct (if so then that is incorrect too. I will have to find out how to change that (don't recall exact number though)

Head not hot enough to allow proper extrusion? The first layer prints good with no skipping, but once it goes to the next layer it skips / snaps

Blockage in the hot end (you fail to mention if anything extrudes at all . . . )

Thank You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 02:56PM by romaytech.
June 01, 2015 03:21PM
Hello,

Ok I ran an extruder test here is the results:

- Clicked slow extrude 100 in Repetier

- Measured the total distance on extruded materiel 39cm = 390mm

This does sound way too high, correct me if I am wrong it should be closed to 100mm
where would I look for the steps per mm in the firmware. I tried changing this in Configuration.h :

#define EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 370

I have tried lower numbers but it does not seem to change anything.

Thank you for all your help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 03:26PM by romaytech.
June 01, 2015 07:21PM
romaytech
Hello,

Ok I ran an extruder test here is the results:

- Clicked slow extrude 100 in Repetier

- Measured the total distance on extruded materiel 39cm = 390mm

This does sound way too high, correct me if I am wrong it should be closed to 100mm
where would I look for the steps per mm in the firmware. I tried changing this in Configuration.h :

#define EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 370

I have tried lower numbers but it does not seem to change anything.

Thank you for all your help

The extruder calibration is linear filament fed, not extruded. Not clear how you measured, but when you request 100mm fed, *exactly* 100mm of unmelted filament should come out of the extruder . . . STEPS_PER_MM is stepper motor steps to move the filament 1mm, and is determined by the mechanics of your extruder, and what microstepping that motor is running. I any case, the mfg of the printer should have figures to get you close, but otherwise, for a 200/step per rev motor microstepping at 16, you get 3200 steps pre revolution. If the extruder drive gear is, say, 1cm (10mm) in diameter, then the circumference is 31.4mm, so 1 rev is 3200 steps for 31.4mm fed, or about 102 steps per mm . . .

In any case, if you are pushing 370mm when asking for 100mm, I think you found the problem. Likely the first layer is only working because proximity to the bed is limiting flow, and the extruder is skipping.

If the steps/mm is supposedly set close, check the jumpers for microstepping . . . this is about a 4:1 error, which is a multiple that wrong jumpering could cause as well.

- Tim
June 02, 2015 03:20AM
Also make sure the EEPROM is updated with any change.

This is critical before any change can take effect.

Easiest way to do this is to use the EEPROM Editor within Repetier-Host (Can be accessed with Alt-E)

HTH

Doug
June 04, 2015 12:54PM
Hello All,

I want to thank everyone for their input in helping me with this. It turns out I had a lot of issues with this,

1. I had the extruder feeding the wrong direction so that is what causing the filament coming out the side of the extruder.
2. The X, Y, and Z feed rates were incorrect.

So as of right now it is looking good, have to do a little more tweaking but it printed a 20mm test cube fairly accurate.

Thank You again everyone for helping me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login